14 Things to Pack in Your Carry On

14 Things to Pack in Your Carry On

Flying can be scary, but a major key to success is packing a kick-ass carry on.

459
14 Things to Pack in Your Carry On
We Know Your Dreams

With the holidays drawing near, millions of people will find themselves in the airport in the next few weeks. Flying can be scary, but even more scary is figuring out what to pack, especially in your carry-on. Fear not! Here's a helpful list of things to take onto the plane with you to ensure a smooth flight.

1. Wallet, ID, Boarding Pass

This is obvious, but it's also the most important. You won't get through security without your ID, and getting on the plane without your boarding pass will also be difficult. Most airlines let you download your boarding pass to your phone, so don't worry if you don't have access to a printer.

2. Book

Many airlines offer wifi on their flights for a fee, but if you don't want to spend the money or kill your batteries while up in the air, a good book never fails.

3. Phone

Another obvious, but it's vital to bring your phone since many of us have our entire lives on there. Make sure you designate a specific compartment in your purse, backpack, or whatever your carry-on is for your phone and wallet so you're not digging through it in a panic.

4. Tablet or Small Laptop

If you do want to buy wifi for the flight, it's better used on a tablet/iPad, or even a laptop. Airlines like Delta or Southwest also offer some complimentary streaming services, so you can watch some movies or show for free while flying.

5. Scarf

No matter what time of year, I always bring a scarf spritzed with perfume with me on an airplane. It's a great retreat for when there are unsavory smells, or to use as a pillow too.

6. Comfortable Shoes

I always look at women wearing heels at the airport and think, "Why?" If you can sprint across the terminal to your flight, more power to you. I cannot, and prefer to wear comfy tennis shoes. Also, if we happen to crash and your stilettos puncture a hole in the inflatable slide, I will be most displeased.

7. Hand Sanitizer

Planes and airports have thousands of people going through them every day, carrying an infinite amount of germs. Protect yourself from the grossness.

8. Dramamine

If you're like me and occasionally suffer from motion sickness or dizziness, dramamine is a life saver on airplanes. It also may help you take a nap and make the flight go by faster.

9. Gum

It's inevitable for your ears to pop on airplanes. Chewing gum can help aid in the process and make it a little less uncomfortable.

10. Zip-up Jacket or Sweatshirt with Pockets

Layers are key on flights. You don't know if it's going to be hot or cold on the plane, so it's a safe bet to go with something that you can easily take on or off. Pockets are also key for keeping your wallet, ID or boarding passes within arms' reach.

11. Headphones

It's hard to watch a movie, listen to music or seduce Air Marshall John without headphones.

12. Charging Cords

You're probably going to use your phone or other electronic devices a lot, so having cords to re-charge them is essential.

13. Portable Battery

You probably won't always have access to electrical outlets to charge those devices, so having a portable battery pack or charging bank is a good idea.

14. Snacks

Last but certainly not least, you're probably going to want something to eat on your journey. Food at the airport is ridiculously expensive, so it's better to bring your own.