14 Things I Learned In College Beyond The Classroom

College is so much more than our credit hours or late night study sessions.

68
Unsplash

College is one of the most important things we can do for ourselves. Yes, getting an education is the priority — but the experience is vital, in my opinion. People often regard their college years as the years they found themselves. A popular reflection is that you learn so much in your college years. It’s such a unique, immersive and collaborative environment.

It’s true — what we learn from college extends far past our credit hours and late night library sessions. Some of the best life lessons I learned in college have been outside of the classroom.

1. There’s more than the towns we grew up in, and thank God.

2. Bills are expensive. Budget hard.

3. Find a bargain wherever/whenever you can (see number 2).

4. We have to work hard for what we want in life.

There is no easy way out. Anything that does come easy, may not be worthwhile.

5. Always keep a basic tool kit around.

You never know when you’re going to need it. As much as I thought this one would be silly, my dad was right.

6. Find a cookbook or recipe site you love and never let it go.

Whether it’s whipping up a cake for a birthday or cooking a nice plated dinner, have some go-tos that you can always rely on. It'll come in handy when you need to #adult.

7. Warning, millennial advice ahead: always be using social media to your advantage

Take your professor's’ advice and build your brand. No matter what your major or future career, utilize technology to better yourself and your future with your own platforms.

8. There are so many unique and diverse people in your classes or at work.

Be open-minded to hearing their stories, and share your own. Listen and learn from their experiences while building your own — it's OK if a group study sesh with strangers gets a little personal.

9. Take risks and chances.

These experiences are the ones that shape you as a person. Every step you take outside of your comfort zone, the more you are able to build character and develop your true sense of self. It's not always gonna be this easy to make mistakes.

10. Dorm life never fails to teach us how to share personal space with someone else.

Respect others and treat them as you wish to be treated. Also, find good roommates.

11. Manage your time.

Buy a planner, create a schedule and make responsible decisions on where your time should be spent. Time is one of the most valuable assets you’ll ever have.

12. Let people get to know you.

Good friends are necessary and they are only possible when you are vulnerable and let them in.

13. It’s OK to say no, and it's OK to say yes.

Wanna go out on a Tuesday? Do it. Feel like being lazy and not doing anything? Do it. Find your balance.

14. What is best for you?

Be happy with your life. Be selfish. It’s never too late to become the person of your dreams.