14 Things You Can Do Instead of Looking at the News Headlines
Politics

It's not getting any better, so just ignore it.

12
Youtube

Things in the news have been quite interesting lately. I won't go into the details because I'm sure you all know anyway, and the whole point of this article is how to avoid the news. Things are crazy out there folks, and while it's good to be informed it seems like there come a point when you just don't want to know anymore. Plus, so many clickbait headlines end up as fake news. Although there have been some stories that are sadly true. I am definitely at that "don't wanna know stage." Every CNN, New York Times, or Fox alert I get feels like a stab in the heart. I've compiled a list of all the ways you can unplug from the news so you don't need to hear all the crazy, and maybe true, news stories.

1. Disable the notifications from the News app.

Do this first so you stop getting alerts. Then you can continue!

2. Read a book.

Preferably not 1984 or any other dystopian novel. Maybe Harry Potter or something fun?

3. Play a board game.

These bad boys still exist. Don't choose monopoly though because you will still be playing it 4 hours after you start it. Unless you want to kill 4 hours.

4. Play a video game.

You may not have a console because of a small room, no money, etc, but there are tons of cool computer games you can play online. CoolMath anyone?

5. Try out the recipe you saw on those Tasty videos.

If you don't have your own kitchen because of dorm life, it's possible that your dorm may have a kitchen you can use. Just get some supplies and kill time cooking.

6. Shop for dogs on the internet.

I do this a lot in class and it kills a crazy amount of time. Plus they're so cute!

7. Binge watch your favorite Netflix show.

Friends, New Girl, Stranger Things, whatever your fave show is binge it and don't look back.

8. Start a new Netflix show.

13 Reasons Why just came out and it's amazing! Or if you don't want to watch something sad, check the comedy TV section and start a new show after you've binged the last to kill even more time.

9. Get lost on Pinterest.

Start planning a remodel of your first house. Plan your whole wedding. Surf the Humor page. Avoid any political pins.

10. Throw your phone out the window.

Maybe throw out your TV too, for good measure.

11. Take a day long nap.

Ignore all responsibilities and sleep all day. Dream of a place where the news headlines aren't this crazy.

12. Sit and stare at the wall.

Maybe add a little meditation while you do this so your roommates don't think you've lost your mind.

13. Do homework.

I know, this one seems kind of crazy. But maybe, just maybe, if you aren't fussing over the news you can sit down and get your homework done. Finals are fast approaching people.

14. Cry.

If all else fails you can cry. This option is a bit sad and extra though so maybe only treat this as a last resort.