11 Things Michael Gary Scott Taught Us About Life

224
Return of Kings

"The Office" is a nine-season television series that takes place in Scranton, Pennsylvania at Dunder Mifflin Paper Company. This hilarious and awkward TV show is led by none other than Michael Gary Scott (Steve Carell): Regional Manager. I am on my third round of watching all nine seasons of this show, and I have to say, Michael G. Scott has taught me so much about life.

I figured it would be a disservice to the readers if I did not share his infinite wisdom.

1. Don't ditch your friends for your significant other. Your friends will always be there for you, but your boyfriend or girlfriend may not be.
"Bros before hos. Why? Because your bros are always there for you. They have got your back, after your ho rips your heart out for no good reason. And you were nothing but great to your ho. And you told her she was the only ho for you. And that she was better than all the other hos in the world. And then ... suddenly she’s not your ho no mo’." (A Benihana Christmas)

2. Stay out of prison. It will scar you.
"The worst thing about prison was the ... was the Dementors. They were flying all over the place and they were scary, and then they'd come down and they'd suck the soul out of your body and it hurt!" (The Convict)

3. There is nothing wrong with admitting when you're unsure of something.
"I'm not superstitious, but I'm a little stitious." (Fun Run)

4. Don't worry about what people have to say about you. It doesn't matter.
"Do I need to be liked? Absolutely not. I like to be liked. I enjoy being liked. I have to be liked. But it's not like this, compulsive, need to be liked. Like my need to be praised." (Fun Run)

5. When in doubt, just pretend like you know what you're doing.
"And I knew exactly what to do. But in a much more real sense, I had no idea what to do." (Stress Relief)

6. Discrimination is not tolerated, ever.
“You may look around and see two groups here: white collar, blue collar. But I don’t see it that way, and you know why not? Because I am collar-blind." (Boys and Girls)

7. Money doesn't solve problems.
"Mo' money, mo' problems." (Branch Wars)

8. Don't be ashamed to let your spirit animal out.
"I am Beyoncé, always." (The Chump)

9. Grief is not wrong!
"Society teaches us that having feelings and crying is bad and wrong. Well, that's baloney, because grief isn't wrong. There's such a thing as good grief. Just ask Charlie Brown." (Grief Counseling)

10. You can have it all if you're well rounded.
"I am an early bird and a night owl ... so I am wise and have worms." (Office Olympics)

11. Give yourself a standard to live by and stick with it.

"My philosophy is basically this. And this is something to live by. And I always have. And I always will. Don't ever, for any reason, do anything to anyone, for any reason, ever, no matter what. No matter... where. Or who, or who you are with, or where you are going, or ... or where you've been ... ever. For any reason, whatsoever." (The Duel)

Whether you watch "The Office" or not, I think we can all incorporate these 11 things into our lives to make us better people. Thanks, Michael, for sharing your wisdom with us.