11 Songs to Add to Your Road-Trip Playlist

21
Summer is the best time for road-tripping. I find that one of the most important things to have in the car during a long trip is an iPod or mixed CD filled with the best mix of songs to make the time go faster. Here are some of my personal favorites.

1. "Heroes" by David Bowie

I first heard this song when I watched "The Perks of Being a Wallflower." This is such an epic ballad. It is best for jamming out in the car with the windows down. It makes you feel infinite.

“I, I will be king. And you, you will be queen. Though nothing will drive them away. We can be Heroes, just for one day.”

2. "What Goes Around Comes Around" by Justin Timberlake

THIS IS MY JAM. Justin Timberlake never gets old. He never fails to make me dance around whenever I hear one of his songs. "What Goes Around Comes Around" is no exception. I find that this song really hits the spot when I’m jamming out to it in the car. AKA THIS IS THE PERFECT ROAD-TRIP SONG.

“You spend your nights alone, but he never comes home. And every time you call him all you gets a busy tone."

3. "From Gold" by Novo Amor

I actually think this is my favorite song on the planet. Every single time I hear it, I cry. It really just makes me happy about life and about where I am and where I’ve come. Novo Amor is just so beyond talented. He reminds me a lot of Bon Iver. So when you’re getting a little anxious and tired of sitting in the car all day, turn this song on, and your whole mindset will change.

“I'm sold, and our story will grow old, but you'll make dust from gold.”

4. "No. 1 Party Anthem" by Arctic Monkeys

Man oh man, do I love Arctic Monkeys! All of their songs are so sexy and rebellious. They make me feel super freaking cool when I listen to them. "No.1 Party Anthem" is a bit more chill in comparison to some other Arctic Monkeys’ songs. Therefore making it another great one to listen to with the windows down and your arm hanging out of.

“Call off the search for your soul, or put it on hold again.”

5. "Unbreakable Smile" by Tori Kelly

I am totally obsessed with Tori Kelly. Her voice is golden. But what I really love about Tori is the message she sends through her lyrics. She’s so positive, confident, and talented. And she always strives to be her authentic self. "Unbreakable Smile" is such a feel good, positive, and sing-at-the-top-of-your-lungs song.

“La da da da dee, you’re not breaking me. La de da da da, ain’t got time for ya, singing La da da da dee, you won’t shatter me. La de da da da, got an unbreakable smile. "

6. "Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love" by Coldplay

Coldplay is my favorite band ever. Their music makes me so happy it is unreal. I cannot say enough good things about their music. "Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love" is a two-part song. The first part has a little more kick and jam-worthiness to it, whilst the second part is calm and relaxed. Which makes for the perfect road-trip song. It is a two-in-one.

“Reign of love, I can’t let go. To the sea I offer, this heavy load.”

7. "Blood" by The Middle East

My favorite part of this song is the end of it. Do you ever have a song that you listen to just to hear a certain part of it? This is definitely one of those songs for me. There is a big, epic burst of beauty and wonder at 2:55.

“Oh and with the only women you ever loved. Who got burnt by the sun too often when she was young.”

8. "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" by Vampire Weekend

I like to call this my beach song. The instruments in this song, plus Ezra Koenig’s voice, create the most weird yet awesome vibe. So if your headed to the beach on a road-trip, be sure to add this song to your list.

"Can you stay up to see the dawn?"

9. "Lost it to Trying" by Son Lux

Just discovered this song recently, and I am so in love. I am a big fan of epic, loud, and beautiful melodies and sounds in music. This song channels everything I like in a song. A definite must-have on my road-trip playlist. (The "Paper Towns" remix of this song is pretty great, too.)

“What will we do now? We lost it to trying.”

10. "Illuminated" by Hurts

“Suddenly my eyes are open, everything comes into focus.” This is such a beautiful song. The chorus is so haunting, and will definitely make you close your eyes and feel all of the vibes. (Unless you are driving. DO NOT CLOSE YOUR EYES, PLEASE.)

11. "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen

This song has to be played on every road trip. No questions asked. Screaming out this song never fails to make me laugh. (P.S. The song is long as hell so it will make time go faster.)

*high voice* GALILEO *low voice* GALILEO *high voice* GALILEO *low voice* GALILEO! GALILEO FIGARO! MAGNIFICOOOOO