11 Reasons You Shouldn't Count Calories During The Holidays

A couple of meals won't ruin a year's worth of hard work

515

As the Holiday's are quickly approaching, I couldn't help but notice all of the articles and diet tips that are focused on not gaining weight during the Holiday's. It seems that although we all love the holidays, everybody fears gaining a couple of pounds that comes from the turkey and stuffing on Thanksgiving, the gingerbread lattes at Starbucks, the holiday cookies, mimosa, and so on. Yet, don't we all deserve a break? After all, the holiday's only come once a year so what is the point in ruining it by obsessing over our diets?

Obviously, I'm not recommending to completely forget about the gym from October to December. All I am saying is to allow yourself to have a few Holiday treats and worry about returning to your perfectly healthy lifestyle in January. So, here are 11 reasons why you shouldn't count calories during the Holiday's:

1. The food is amazing | What other time of the year are you going to be served pumpkin pie?

2. A couple of meals won't ruin a year's worth of hard work | Healthy lifestyles take months to form. This means that if you already regularly go to the gym and eat healthy, a couple of unhealthy meals won't destroy all the progress you have made.

3. It's sweater season anyways | So what if you gain one pound during Thanksgiving dinner? You can hit the gym the next day and it will be as if it didn't even happen. Plus, nobody will be able to tell since we are all wearing oversized sweaters anyways.

4. It's depressing | If you can hold off on eating desert while everybody else at Christmas dinner eats it, the more power to you. However, I think you'll be happier if you reward yourself and enjoy a treat.

5. You'll have limited options to choose from | Aside from the salad, most holiday meals are not winning any prices for the most healthy meal anytime soon.

6. You have more time to work out | Many of us are off from school and work for a month during the Holidays. This means that the extra calories you do eat, you can burn off at the gym since you will have more time.

7. Cooking with family or friends makes great memories | Some of my favorite memories are cooking in the kitchen with my mom. After you make holiday cookies you should be allowed to try them!

8. Limited time holiday specials | Starbucks only has the peppermint latte and gingerbread latte for a couple months a year. Obviously, you shouldn't get one everyday but you should at least have one a couple of times!

9. It's hard work | Your grandparents or other family members put a lot of effort into making the perfect sweet potato casserole and you should at least try it so that you can thank them and tell them how good it is.

10. You'll have more motivation in the New Year | I always feel the most motivated and the healthiest in January as I make sure to never skip a day at the gym. You may have some extra motivation if you didn't spend the Holiday's counting every calorie.

11. It's the Holiday's | Lastly, you deserve to have a relaxing holiday season. It's impossible to do so if you are constantly worried about your weight and calories.

Happy Holiday's!