11 Reasons Why You Should Be Watching "The Office"

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky" - Michael Scott

1500

I have watched many television comedies in my time, but none will ever compare to "The Office." I didn't watch "The Office" until 2015, but I'm glad I waited; if I had watched it sooner it probably would have ruined all other shows for me. I could come up with an infinite number of reasons for you to start watching it, but here are 11 of my favorites.

1. Two words: Michael Scott

Michael Scott is single-handedly one of the most irritating, immature, cringe-worthy, lovable, and hilarious characters I have ever seen. His antics throughout seven seasons at Dunder Mifflin will make you laugh, cry, and feel some serious second-hand embarrassment.

2. The running jokes

I remember hearing "that's what she said" constantly while in high school, yet I never actually knew where it came from."The Office" made the joke popular and after nine seasons of episodes, I can't help but say it too.

3. Jim and Pam

If I were to call any couple on television "relationship goals," it would be these two. Jim and Pam are meant for each other; their relationship struggles are a major plot point in every season of "The Office." John Krasinski and Jenna Fisher brought life to two characters who go through hell and back for one another.

4. The talking heads

In a documentary style show, the actors do what is referred to as talking heads; they sit in front of the camera alone and deliver statements and answer questions."The Office" made excellent use of this technique. Some of the funniest jokes of the series are made in these interviews.

5. Halloween episodes

The employees at Dunder Mifflin always go all out for Halloween. Whether it's Dwight as a Sith Lord, Jim as a three-hole punch, or Gabe as Lady Gaga, the costumes are always a little bit over the top.

6. Christmas episodes

Like the Halloween parties, the Christmas parties are always well done. Whether it's Michael turning Secret Santa into Yankee Swap or two rival parties, Christmas episodes are always interesting.

7. Dwight's... interesting personality

Dwight K. Shrute is a character that you love to hate. He's a bit of a kiss-ass, he loves all things farming, and he's a stickler for the rules. In one episode, he fakes a fire drill by actually lighting a fire and setting off fireworks in the office. Chaos ensues, and when Dwight is asked why he would do such a thing, he states that he was only trying to ensure the office was prepared in case of a "real" emergency.

8. The cold opens

Every episode of "The Office" begins with a hilarious cold open. The style was even mimicked in an "Office"-themed skit for the Emmy's. Some fan-favorites are when Andy, Michael, and Dwight do parkour, and when Kevin drops a huge pot of chili all over the floor.

9. The pranks

Jim is constantly pranking Dwight and seems to go to whatever lengths it takes to make him look foolish. Jim impersonates Dwight, moves Dwight's desk to the men's bathroom, and pretends he has bitten by a bat and turned into a vampire. You've got to admire his dedication to a good prank.

10. Creed

Creed Bratton cannot be explained. Nobody really knows how he got a job at Dunder Mifflin or what he really does all day, but his one-liners are always hilarious.

11. The life lessons

For all its jokes, "The Office" eaches some real life lessons.

"The Office" is easily one of the best shows to ever grace the small screen. The characters change a lot over the course of the documentary, and you'll laugh and cry along with them. Give "The Office" a chance, you definitely won't regret it. All nine seasons are available to watch on Netflix, so what are you waiting for?