16 Times "The Office" Gave You Perfect Life Advice

Because it's the only show that will make you laugh, cry, and cringe all at the same time.

2717
TV.com

So, last Tuesday, I turned 20 years old. Some people say I’m so young it’s scary, while others frequently try to tell me that I’m so old I should be put in a “home” (usually courtesy of my ever-so-affectionate best friends). Turning 20 is something that is exciting, but very daunting. Your parents and professors expect you to have your shit together, but your friends and peers want you to come out with them every night of the week and forget about all your responsibilities. You have papers due, bills to pay, friends to please, and that entire bag of Doritos isn’t going to eat itself. Sometimes being in this awkward, not-quite-a-kid, not-quite-a-grownup phase is just depressing and confusing, and, well… weird. But, when I find myself in times of trouble, Michael Scott comes to me, whispering words of wisdom…

1) A little bit of self-confidence goes a long way.

Wondering whether or not you should wear that top? Can you pull off those shoes? Should you do a dark lipstick, or should you go au natural? Wear whatever you want, do whatever makes you happy, because at the end of the day, if you feel good, you look good!

2) If you don't know the answer, fake it 'til you make it.

In a perfect reality, you know the answers to everything ever and you're also a millionaire. But until that reality actually becomes reality, it's alright to fumble your way through things for a while.

3) You don't have to stay out all night to have a good time.

Don't get me wrong, going out can be fun. I love a good time as much as the next person. But sometimes, you just have to go home and recoup (while watching The Office, naturally).

4) Diets can make you look good, but dear god, at what cost?!

Staying fit is important, but why should you deny yourself the delicious, heaven-sent taste of a greasy pizza when you want it? Treat yo self!

5) Don’t follow the dumb fads. They can be hazardous.

Planking, parkour, and parking in the RA spot... all of these things can get you into some trouble if you're not a pro. Okay, maybe you don't need to be a professional to plank. But you should definitely watch out for Dwight if you do.

6) Sometimes it's okay to gloat when you win.

Ever school someone so good that your chest puffs a little bit and you wanna scream from the mountaintops that you told them so? Apparently, so has Gabe.

7) When you're running out of creative juice, just use the Michael Scott method.

Start a sentence without knowing where it will go is the perfect way to brainstorm. Sometimes it's alright to start out on a wing and a prayer and hope you'll get there eventually.

8) The only way that anyone is ever going to know how you feel is if you tell them.

Although Jim and Pam have the perfect relationship, it took them three years to get together. Don't make the same mistake that they did; if you love someone, let them know.

9) Love takes many different shapes and forms...

...even if that form is Kelly Kapoor.

10) Don't post anything that you wouldn't show your family at Thanksgiving.

I don't know how your parents roll, but it's generally not a good idea to post pictures of yourself *ahem* behaving inappropriately, especially if you're not 21.

11) There is no such thing as a bad time for some comfort food.

Michael may be crazy, but he has many a time given his audience sage advice. This would be one of those times.

12) Drinking excessively is like stealing good feelings from tomorrow. You can feel amazing for one night, but the next day you’ll feel ten times worse.

Was that seventh shot last night really worth the all day long headache you have today? Probably not.

13) Never wait until the morning your assignment is due to start it.

Your professors will not be as forgiving as Ryan is with Michael; don't plan on them cutting you slack for a terrible presentation.

14) Some things are better left unsaid.

Should your roommate exercise more? Do you think your professor looks strung-out? Is your RA wearing a really ugly shirt? A friend once told me, "if it's not something they can fix in under a minute, then don't tell them." So broccoli in the teeth? Let 'em know! Neon underwear that shows through their white jeans? Better let it go.

15) Goodbyes suck. Save them for tomorrow at lunch.

When you're in college, you're constantly saying goodbye. Parting with your family to go to school, leaving your friends when you go on breaks, and saying goodbye to everything familiar when you study abroad. It can get to be way too much to bear. So I recommend taking Jim's advice and saving your goodbyes for tomorrow.

16) Live it up, because you never know when you’re in the best days of your life.

No matter how hard they can be, you're always going to look back on your 20s (or your times at Dunder Mifflin) with a little tear in your eye. The memories and friends you make now will stay with you forever, so don't let your daily grind get you down. You're living in some of the best days of your life!