11 Hidden Not-Mickeys In Walt Disney World

See what you can find!

75
Exploring Walt Disney World

As an avid Disney lover, I can totally relate to the whole Hidden Mickey craze. Imagineers love to live cute little winks at Disney guests, so its not unusual for them, after a new project is complete, to leave a little surprise or two behind. So I've compiled a list of some of my favorite hidden gems of Walt Disney World that aren't Mickeys at all!

1. Cinderella's Fountain

Just behind Cinderella's Castle, you'll find the princess' fountain. While the fountain itself is beautifully designed, you get a tiny little surprise if you alter your perspective. Look at Cinderella's head dead on, and you'll see the design on the wall behind the fountain appear to crown her head.

2. The King of Magic Kingdom

Walk just past Fantasyland and you'll find the newest area, designed and unveiled only a couple of years ago. Stroll around Belle's provincial town, and stop inside Bonjour! Village Gifts to have a look at the wares. The shop is very well decorated, and if you look at the wall, you'll see a big portrait of a man who looks vaguely like a fairy tale character. It's actually a real man, VP of Magic Kingdom Phil Holmes.

3. The Ring

Chances are, if you've visited Walt Disney World, you've probably taken a tour of The Haunted Mansion -- and maybe even considered being the thousandth ghost. Well then you also might've heard the story of The Ring, and for one reason or another, you can find it outside of The Haunted Mansion -- it's right near the end of the queue line, right behind one of the little gates. How do you think that story ended?

4. Not-floating Lights

Once you scurry out of the Haunted Mansion, have a look at the rest of Liberty Square. Even if you're the type to skip the Haunted Mansion, you'll have fun pointing this out to the history buff in your group. (Hey, Dad!) In the second story of windows near the attraction, you'll see two lanterns sitting in the window, taken straight out of the story of Paul Revere, and how the number of lanterns in the steeple signaled how the British were coming. ("One if by land, Two if by sea") How revolutionary!

5. Mr. Toad's Wild Cameos

Long-time Disney fans will remember Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, a rather crazy attraction that used to be where The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh stands today. If you ride the Winnie the Pooh attraction, you'll find a little homage to Mr. Toad in the second room you visit -- there's a picture of him and Mr. Owl exchanging the deed to the property.

6. If you'd like to Pay Your Respects...

You can also find Mr. Toad after you exit The Haunted Mansion attraction, in a little pet graveyard, in the very back. The epitaph isn't exactly visible to guests, but it's rumored to say "Dear Mr. Toad, It's sad but true. Not nearly as popular as Winnie the Pooh."

7. Prehistoric Condiments

If you've waited on the queue line for Dinosaur in Animal Kingdom, you might have notices these three pipes with weird looking chemical formulas on them. I had my Bio-Chem major sister investigate, and she found that they were actually the chemical formulas for ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise.

8. 20,000 Leagues Under Atlantica

Before we had Journey of the Little Mermaid in New Fantasyland, there was a ride dedicated to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. There's plenty of little homages to the previous ride, like the submarine carving shown above.

9. Tower of Morocco

Next time you visit the World Showcase, have a look at Morocco from across the lagoon. You might notice a curious (and terrifying) tower in the background, and the color fits in so neatly with the Epcot pavilion. It's almost as if the Imagineers planned it that way.

10. Hotline Bling on Main Street

Chances are, if you're a big Disney fan, you've probably popped inside the hat shop ("Le Chappeau") on Main Street at least once to get your new Mickey ears embroidered. The next time you do, look to your right, and you'll see an antique phone on the wall. Pick it up! You'll get to eavesdrop a cute conversation between a girl named Annie and her mother. Their exchange could have actually happened back on Walt's real turn-of-the-century Main Street.

11. Plot Twist: The Imagineers Themselves

If you look up at the windows of Main Street, you'll notice all of the windows have names and shops painted on them. Those are names of real Imagineers and companies who devoted so much to making the Magic Kingdom Park what it is today. Getting your name on Main Street is one of the highest honors an Imagineer can receive, so keep an eye out for them on your next visit. When you reach the Partner's Statue, hang a right and look above the ice cream parlor. You'll see the name of the big man himself -- his name is the only one to face the castle.