100-Word Stories Reader's Digest Style. Minus The Reader's Digest part.

Sometimes it doesn't take a week to read a story. It just takes a minute.

73

If you are familiar with Reader's Digest, you know they are full of stories. But not the long stories you read in bed, in the bath, or on the airplane. They're the kind you can read while walking to the living room before turning on the TV because they're only 100 words. For as long as I can remember, this has always been my favorite part of the magazine. I think it's amazing how so few words, when placed together correctly, can make you feel such large emotions. Sometimes less is more and it's nice to remember that every now and then.

If you know me, you know I love a good challenge and I love to write, so obviously I just had to give the 100 word story thing a go. I am a fan of love, so here are two 100-word love stories I managed to craft. It's harder than you would anticipate, 100 words is less than you would think it is. My words are few but my feelings are many. I might not end up in Reader's Digest, but the best thing about stories is that they don't lose value based on how many people read them. So to the two or fifty or a hundred people that read this, thank you, and I encourage you to give this a try yourself!

If you want to submit your 100-word story to be in the real Reader's Digest, you can do so here!

Love from a friend. 

We were skipping now.

"I know," she smirked as she grabbed my hand that much tighter. Of course she knew. She knew everything and I never cared to think otherwise.

And in that sharp, thin winter air I had never been more sure of anything than our infinity. I looked down and our hands were equally white. Equally not letting go.

Christmas has always been my favorite. Now I get to say that she has always been my favorite. Both reviving my soul in a way only they can do. But it is only her I feel every day.

& love from a lover. 

He was fumbling around with his words, his hands, acting like he'd never even seen so much as kissed a girl before.

Time had stopped just for us, looking down amazed at how long he'd waited, as if time does anything but wait.

"Can I kiss you now?" Silence.

I don't believe I ever gave him an answer, but the universe must've, because our atoms collided anyway.

I've been kissed by men before, perhaps an out of body experience, but this was better.

I wasn't outside of myself, observing. I was there, experiencing. I was there and his and there.