Amber Guyger Could Be Free In 5 Years
Currently

Murderer Amber Guyger Could Be Free In Five Years, The Same Time Black People Get For Selling 50 Kg Of Weed

The justice system will always find a way to win. Even when we got them beat.

5186
Mesquite Police Department

On October 2, now-ex-police officer Amber Guyger was found guilty of the murder of Botham Jean, her neighbor. The maximum sentence she faced was life in prison. When I heard the guilty verdict, I thought she would get the maximum and do life.

But the outcome was different. She received a maximum of 10 years and will become eligible for parole after five. I was disappointed but not surprised. I can go all day on how the justice system will destroy a non-white individual but gives a white convict a slap on a wrist, but that's for another day.

Well, I got time today.

According to the ACLU, African Americans are 3.73 times more likely to be arrested for marijuana. If you sell even less than 50 kg, you can get five years in prison according to NORML, an organization that breaks down the sentence of marijuana charges. The Hill reported on Patrick Beadle, who was sentenced to eight years in a Mississippi state prison for legally buying marijuana in Oregon. At 46 years old, he was convicted of drug trafficking. He was found with two bags of marijuana that he used in a medicinal capacity for pain in his knees. Because the jury already convicted Beadle for the charges, the judge could not lower the sentence.

You mean to tell me you arrest that person, take them to court, and have them spend more than a year or the remainder of their life in prison? You move them out, and you bring in a murderer who deserves a life sentence but got a light sentence because of the relationship she has with the community?

I don't understand.

The system sees the dealer as a menace to society, but sees a murderer police officer as a good person. I think we know who's the real threat to society, people. This whole system was set up to unfairly prosecute African Americans. It doesn't make sense how you can murder a guy and still only get 10 years with parole after five. A white woman who's been found guilty showing her tears in court really put the icing on the cake on her sentence.

She might be guilty, but if she's out in five years, is it really justice?