10 Weird New Jersey Laws

10 Weird New Jersey Laws

7. It is against the law for a man to knit during the fishing season.

2193

We all know that it is illegal to pump gas in New Jersey, something that is so common in other states. But did you know that that is not the only weird law unique to the state? Here are ten little known New Jersey laws that are sure to throw you for a loop:    

1. You may not slurp your soup.              

That’s right, it is illegal to slurp soup in New Jersey. Sure it’s gross, but to make it illegal may be a little extreme.    

2. If you have been convicted of driving while intoxicated, you may never again apply for personalized license plates.              

The punishment fits the crime. Don’t get a DWI because you may never be able to personalize your plates again…pity.    

3. Spray paint may not be sold without a posted sign warning juveniles of the penalty for creating graffiti.              

Now I don’t know about you, but I don’t recall seeing any type of sign about graffiti when buying spray paint for all of those middle-school art projects. I guess my local paint store has been breaking the law for quite some time.

4. Handcuffs may not be sold to minors.              

I don’t know what a minor would want with real handcuffs but part of me doesn’t want to know why making this a law became an issue…    

5. It is illegal to wear a bullet-proof vest while committing a murder.             

You may go to jail for committing murder, but don’t wear a bullet proof vest while doing it or they might add some time onto your life sentence!   

6. All motorists must honk before passing another car, bicyclist, skater, and even a skateboarder.   

Can you image how annoying the roads would be if everyone actually did this?!   

This makes sense. I mean, what if he misses a day of fishing to stay home and knit a scarf? Unacceptable!  

8. It is against the law to “frown” at a police officer.             

Obviously police deserve smiles all the time… even when they’re giving you a ticket.     

9. One must yield a phone line to a person if it is an emergency.            

… Does a desperate need for food constitute as an emergency?   

10. Car dealerships are forbidden from opening on Sunday.             

I always wondered why they were never open on Sundays… I guess it is critical that car dealers get at least one day off from haggling with prospective buyers!