10 Of The Most Important Tips For Fiction Writers

Some helpful advice for those who enjoy Creative Writing

48
via Flickr

If you're anything like me, you spend more time in fictional realities than your actual reality. Fiction writing is amazing therapy, allowing you to expand your creativity and escape the day to day monotony. While it is very rewarding, fiction writing is not as easy as it may seem, there are a lot of factors to consider. Here are 10 tips when it comes to fiction writing.

1. Know your audience

Some writers attempt to reach a vast audience with their works, but it is almost impossible to please everyone. When the aim is to have an audience who appreciates your work, you can't provide a universal message to the whole world (because there is no universal truth to begin with). Essentially, a story that is cherished by city-dwelling millennial will not have the same effect on middle-aged women in the suburbs. With that, knowing your audience is a crucial step, it helps you focus your message and gives your story a purpose rather than just plot.

2. Create real characters

I'm aiming these tips at fiction, so the sky is the limit when it comes to writing, but I find it is helpful if characters have human qualities, meaning they should have imperfections, problems that your audience can relate to. You want your characters to grow a connection to your readers, so it is crucial to build them as relatable people. Without real characters there can never be real conflict.

3. Show, don’t tell

Beginners often make the mistake of explaining what is happening instead of simply showing the reader. Think of it as the difference between watching a movie and having a friend describe a movie to you. You need to be fully immersed in writing to accomplish this, you can't simply be writing, you need to be inside the world, you need to be the characters, be the experiences.

4. Let your scenes play out

Don’t cheat your readers by trying to wrap up every scene too quickly. Events in real life don’t often end neatly; chances are neither will events in your story. Instead, let the falling action of each scene sow the seeds of the following scene’s rising action. Propel your audience through to the next plot point—make them want to keep reading.

5. Learn the art of conflict

Creating a powerful conflict and weaving it tightly throughout the story is a tricky thing to master, and can take years of practice. Conflict is what makes us interested in outcome. And your conflict must affect your characters in a way that forces them to act and grow as a result. A story with a weak conflict that leaves the characters exactly as they were at the start won’t be satisfying; your story won’t make a lasting impression.

6. Research different ways of revising

There are many strategies when it comes to revising and writing in general. Some prefer to write without stopping, and then revise when completed, and others prefer to finish inch by inch. Everyone is different so I suggest you to research and try out a few methods, finding the one that fits best with your style.

7. Brainstorm

After hitting a block, I love to brainstorm different outcomes. It helps to step away from a tough section and look at the broad picture instead. Maybe a plot change is what you need, or a character development. Brainstorm, it's your story, you can take it where you want.

8. Plan, if needed

My favorite thing to do when writing a new story is getting a fresh notepad and planning my plot, characters, and conflict. This is my personal preference, there are no rules, but I find it helps to write everything down and see it all on paper. It gets me excited and helps me see what needs developing.

9. Find a point of focus or a muse

If you are having a hard time finding something to write about, you could find an object, location, or person to help you get going. Go traveling, maybe a landscape will spark your imagination. Other options could include museums, random portraits online, or someone important in your life.

10. Never give up!

Writing can be a very hard and long task, but if you're passionate about it, it is an amazing outlet. If I could give one piece advice I would say never give up. Perhaps you just haven't found your story, but the worst thing you could ever do is stop writing.