10 Things You Wouldn't Say To Your Straight Friends
Life Stages

So don't say them to your LGBT friends, either.

61
https://pixabay.com/photos/gay-pride-gay-gay-flag-rainbow-flag-830811/

Being in the LGBT community definitely has its pros and cons. For example, I know I always have a community to fall back on for support if I need it. I have a community of people who I can relate to, one where we all work together to try and make everyone feel as safe as possible. However, there is the seemingly unending discrimination against us. While such discrimination tends to be violent or extremely hateful, we can't forget about the non-community members who inherently discriminate against us by asking us uncomfortable and inappropriate questions, or making passive aggressive comments. While they may not realize that they're marginalizing us by doing so, they are.

For those of us in the LGBTQ+ community, we know all too well the questioning and comments that ensue from those who are not in the community and are seemingly very confused about our identities. All of these questions we're asked are one or a combination of the following: 1) ridiculous, 2) don't make sense, and 3) extremely inappropriate. This goes out to the straight people who find it within themselves to comment on our sexuality.

When did you realize that you're straight?

Did something happen to you when you were younger that made you this way?

Are you really sure you're straight?

It's not just a phase?

You don't seem straight.

You know how we like to stereotype straight people.

Who's the man in the relationship?

Or the woman, I guess.

Will you be my straight best friend?

We could go shopping together and gossip and all that fun stuff.

I have a straight friend; can I introduce you to them?

I think you guys would really hit it off. Maybe I can just go right ahead set up a date for the two of you.

How do you have sex?

I know Google exists, but I thought it'd be better to get the answer directly from a straight person.

You don't look straight.

Again with the stereotyping, sorry.

Stop shoving heterosexuality in my face.

It's all over the media, I'm tired of it.

If you had the choice, would you be gay?

Like, have you ever thought about it?