9 Things To Do In D.C. That Are Out Of The Ordinary

There is so much more to do in this city then what the tour books tell you.

343
Carlos Wilson

I have spent this past week has been spent wandering around our wonderful capital. The place where our nation began it's path to becoming a global hegemon, Washington D.C. I would recommend doing everything and anything in the city, but here are 10 must do things in D.C for your next trip.

1. Monuments at Night

This was something I hadn't done before and I am so happy I did. Seeing these monuments at night totally blew my mind. Majority of the time we would be the only ones at a monument which made it even more meaningful.

2. Ghost Tour of Lafayette Park

This is one of my personal favorite museums. You get to walk through the history of news, and how important your first amendment right is. This is definitely a must hit if you're near the mall. It was super cool to see how important the media is in the course of history.

3. Go see Albert Einsteins Statue

Over by the Lincoln Memorial is the Albert Einstein statue. If you stand in the middle, right in front of the statue you will even be able to hear your eco bounce off of him, making it seem like he is talking back to you.

4. National Portrait Gallary

This is the location of all of the Presidental Portraits. You can see everyone from George Washington's portrait to the most recent edition of the Obamas. You can also see a portrait made of LL Cool J. Worth the walk back.

5. Get a Library Card at the Library of Congress

If you get a library card for the Library of Congress it is the only way you can get onto the floor of the library. You can wander through looking for books. I can promise you there will be something you will be interested in reading.

6. Register for a Capitol Tour with your Senator

I went about registering for tickets for the Capitol Tour with my Senator and it was so worth it! We got on a tour of four of us total, which was given by an aide. We also got to ride the tram that runs under the Capitol which was amazing.

7. The International Spy Museum

The Spy Museum is getting a new location over right off the mall. The current museum is amazing but will be even more impressive in the new facility. It is projected to open in 2019. It even has secret messages written in different places in the museum, better keep your eyes open.

8. Eat at the Yellow Food Trucks

The yellow food trucks behind the American History Museum will be one of your cheapest options for food in D.C. I ate at these food trucks and was super satisfied because it wasn't overly priced, and it didn't take much time out of sightseeing.

9. The Holocaust Museum

This is one of the most moving museums in D.C. I think it is something everyone needs to see in their lifetime. It is so moving and does an amazing job of showing what their lives were like.