10 Solid Resolutions For The Upcoming Year | The Odyssey Online

10 Solid Resolutions For The Upcoming Year

Stay Motivated.

12

1. Workout and Eat Right

Apple pie, turkey, stuffing, pecan pie, cookies, and apple cider—the holidays have gotten the best of us. If you have a resolution to lose or maintain your weight and stay healthy, write out a plan.

Keep a workout routine, a meal plan and of course a cheat day for Fridays (only Fridays). Writing out your plan can help keep you motivated as well as track your progress throughout the year.

2. Work Hard, Play Hard

Maybe you didn’t achieve an A in that Intro to Biology class you took first semester, or maybe you just didn’t understand Calculus as easily as you thought you would.

Now that you’re taking Biology II or Calculus II this semester, you have room to improve and work your way up. Meet your professor, get a tutor and put more time into your work. Hard work pays off in the end and the benefits can only be rewarding.

3. Apply for that Internship/Job

You open your laptop, and stare at the blank application staring back at you to apply for an internship/job. You’ve done this at least once a week this past December, and can’t seem to submit that application.

Now that it’s the new year and you have a clean slate, go ahead submit it. You’ll need all the experience you can get, and it won’t hurt to try.

4. Stay Organized.

Keep a calendar, a planner, and sticky notes on your desk-- or even set alarms for reminders on your phone. Whatever works the best for you, stay determined and don't slack off on any of your goals for the rest of the year.

5. Wear your Heart on your Sleeve

Take the time to show your loved ones that you love them. Take the time to show your friends that you care and that you’ll always be there for them. Take the time out of your day to lend a helping hand.

6. Call your family more often.

In the hustle and bustle of things, especially towards the middle of the semester when things start to get crazy, it can get hard to find the time to call your family every once in a while.

Whenever you have some down time once in the week and you’re not slaving over a 10 page essay, call your family up—they would love to hear from you.

7. Rearrange your space.

Out with the old, and in with the new! You might have a lot of unnecessary trash or papers piling up from last semester or even last year that you wouldn’t give even a second glance at.

Clean your space out, and add some new decorations to settle into that new 2017, "new year, new me" feel.

8. Keep a Budget.

That 50$ dress at H&M looks amazing but where and when exactly would you wear it? Do you really need to buy an extra bag of chips and a muffin every time you grab dinner? Reevaluate how you manage your finances and devise a plan to save money.

9. Patience.

Sometimes it might seem like nothing is really going your way, or that every situation you try to avoid is suddenly happening to you. There’s a reason everything happens, and it might not make sense now, but trust in that things will turn out for the better and everything will work out in the end. Have patience, and work diligently.

10. Lastly, Keep your Motivation.

Some days are worse than others and vice versa. You’ll feel on top of the world one day, ready to go through anything just to accomplish your goal; while the next day you may not really understand why you’re doing what you’re doing.

Keep your eyes on your goal, stay positive, and keep your motivation. Giving up won't help you achieve your goal.