10 Reasons Why You Should Apply to the Communication Studies Major

941

Have you ever considered applying to be a comm major? If you have, let me tell you why I think you absolutely should

1. It looks great on a resume    

Although, nationally, communications has a reputation as a 'fluff major,' at UCLA it is a competitive and highly regarded program. The department is currently ranked 10th in the world! Besides, getting in would boost your ego.    

2. The application is much better than it used to be    

In previous years, the admissions committee looked solely at your GPA and grades in pre-reqs. Now, you get to showcase your worth and personality in a series of short essay questions. And some applicants are even offered a second chance in the form of an interview.    

3. Class is fascinating because you can relate to it    

We are social creatures. It would make sense then for social sciences (such as communications) to apply directly to our daily lives. When you are used to learning about ancient Rome and itsy-bitsy atoms, being taught about the inner workings of dating, parties and TV shows is refreshing - to say the least.    

4. You learn valuable life skills   

I am currently taking classes in nonverbal communication, public speaking and conflict. Understand: I am learning what my body language conveys to others, how to overcome my shyness, and how to solve disagreements constructively. Pretty solid, no?    

5. Professors are often legit researchers   

More often that not, the professors teaching you have conducted studies of their own, and sometimes even written influential books. They are bright, fascinated by their subject, and fascinating as a result.    

6. You learn things about yourself, your life and your relationships  

I've only taken 4 comm classes per se, yet I've already learned so much about why we do the things we do, why we react and feel certain ways, why we prefer some things and people over others, etc. And above all, I have grown.  

7. You can go into a million different careers  

According to our comm studies department's website, the degree could lead you to anything from law school to consulting, and from journalism to social work. The communications major is almost too versatile.  

8. You are bombarded with job and internship opportunities  

From the minute you open your acceptance letter, you begin to receive emails about job and internship openings. These employers seek comm majors specifically, and often work for really cool, really important companies.  

9. It's a really short major 

There are relatively few requirements to complete, so you'll be done in time to either graduate early or take on a minor or double major, whatever floats your boat.  

10. If you're interested, you will get better grades 

I don't know about you, but when I hate a class, however easy it's supposed to be (*cough cough* earthquakes *cough*), I do poorly in it. And vice-versa. So if you're concerned about your GPA, and you're interested in the major, you will do well automatically. It's a win-win.    

Not convinced yet? Maybe this will help.  

Spike Lee, Renee Zellweger, Denzel Washington, David Letterman and Jerry Seinfeld all majored in communications. And I mean come on, they are all pretty cool