10 Reasons to Be Thankful for Rainstorms

Learning to Love Life One Raindrop at a Time

456
buildingstrongchildren.usu.edu

I distinctly remember, as I was packing for college, my mom saying to me, “Don’t forget your rain boots!” I remember thinking how ridiculous that sounded. Little did I know the reality of El Nino. The weather in Southern California is perfect until it’s not. It will catch you off guard. I remember my first encounter with El Nino. I had no rain boots. I had no umbrella. I had a windbreaker. For clarification, a windbreaker does not suffice in the beastly weather that is El Nino. I walked inside into my classroom. I was drenched. Every article of my clothing was soaked beyond belief. I turned to my friend and uttered, “El Nino is real…. El Nino IS REAL.”

If you have never experienced this wonderfully horrific natural disaster, let me paint you a picture. Imagine a large rainstorm, lots of rain and wind. Now multiply that by ten. It literally feels as if someone is walking behind you and is dumping buckets of water on you in all directions. In rainy, cold times like these it can be easy for anyone to fall into a negative slump. Although it is not always easy to see, there are many positives to El Nino. So here is a list of things for you to be thankful for when you check the weather report and see a forecast for treacherous, cold, pouring rain.

1. It's the perfect excuse to stay inside and watch Netflix all day

(like we need one)

2. And remind yourself how every drop of rain helps combat the drought here in California

No matter how awful the rain may seem at times, we should really be thankful to have it.

2. You get to wear cute rain gear

Those cute rain boots you have been dying to whip out

OR even that cute umbrella

4. It's the perfect excuse/reason for being late

"Why were you late?!?!"

"Sorry El Nino made traffic ridiculous!"

"Oh ok that's fine then! El Nino is the worst"

5. It's something totally acceptable to complain about

Because let's face it we all love to complain A LITTLE BIT. Complaining about the how bad the weather is unites us. In a world with so much hatred at least there are some things we can all hate together, and that is a beautiful thing.

6. If you went one more day than you should have without washing your hair, you can just "forget" your umbrella and VOILA. Quick fix.

"Oh no.. My hair got all wet... Shoot all this rain...." Hehe.

7. It sets up the perfect romantic-comedy-kiss-in-the-rain moment scene. It could happen at anytime.

Even if you don't watch romantic comedies as religiously as I do, you should know this is one of the most wonderful cliches.

8. It presents the perfect opportunity to sit in your car and belt out a sad song.

Whether you are going through a sad time in your life or not, there is no greater feeling then belting out a song in your car when it's raining.

9.

If all else fails and you still can't see the positives of all of this rain then I feel sorry for you. Find the positives in your life rather than stare at the negatives. FORGET about how much you may HATE the weather. Chuck the umbrella. Chuck the boots. Dance! Dance barefoot in the rain. Dance like no one is watching. Get soaked, and don't care. Let your inner child free. Jump in the puddles. Splash your friends. Act like a total idiot, and don't apologize. Don't take life too seriously.

ANNNDDDD

10. Wait for the rainbow

After the rigorous storm there is this large sigh of relief. In life and in El Nino it can be difficult to find things to be thankful for a midst the storm. When life gets as challenging as a natural disaster it is important to remind yourself the rain won't last forever. Once the storm does end, everything is calmed with this blanket of silence. Cloaking the sky, it brings this unspoken peace. Sometimes even a rainbow will grace us with its presence. Wait for the rainbow. The rainbow makes the storm all worth it.