10 Must-See Shows And Movies On Netflix

10 Must-See Shows And Movies On Netflix

Let the binge-watching begin.

58
10 Must-See Shows And Movies On Netflix

Nothing causes me more anguish than finishing a show on Netflix; you spend weeks, maybe months, growing attached to a cast of characters only for it to end forever, or worse, end on a cliffhanger. You’re left to move on and start the cycle all over again. To speed up the healing process, here is my go-to list of shows and movies.

1. Freaks and Geeks

I watched this show long before I stumbled upon it on Netflix. I have all 18 episodes on DVD (I know, super lame). It’s set in the 80’s and chronicles the lives of, you guessed it, freaks and geeks. Freaks and Geeks also has a star-studded cast, featuring Jason Segal, James Franco and Seth Rogan long before their prime. Although it’s a short series, it’s incredibly relatable and something I can watch over and over again.

2. Short Term 12

If you like indie films, you’ll love this. I had never heard of this movie (or Brie Larson) before this was recommended to me. The movie takes place at a group home for troubled adolescents where Grace, Brie Larson character works as head counselor. It’s a very emotional, yet inspirational movie. It’s based on a 21-minute short film from 2008.

3. Wentworth

Set in Australia, Wentworth is essentially the Australian version of Orange is The New Black. The show is based around Bea Smith, a mother who tried to murder her husband and has to figure out life in prison while awaiting trial. Disclaimer: It is extremely violent and gory.

4. Parks and Recreation

This is a no brainer. If you haven’t seen Parks and Rec yet, you seriously HAVE to. #Knope4President

5. Scrubs

Scrubs is the perfect mix of comedy and medical drama. The show follows the life of John “J.D.” Dorian as he learns the medical game while maintaining his life and friendships. Scrubs has everything, romance, sadness, drama, and my favorite, goofy comedy.

6. Raising Hope

As a spin-off of My Name Is Earl, Raising Hope focuses on the life of Jimmy Chance and his family. Jimmy becomes a single father after the mother he had a one-night stand with ends up being a serial killer on death row. It’s an easy watch with a lot of smart comedy.

7. Tallulah

This movie is a very underrated piece, starring the always talented Ellen Page as a Tallulah, a young girl with an amazing heart but a not so amazing mind. Tallulah is an amazing film that takes a seen-before plot and masterfully tells a story, the dialogue, music, character development, all of it amounts to a must-see movie.

8. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

I think this is one of the best Netflix exclusives there is and ever will be. The show highlights the life of Kimmy Schmidt, a “mole woman” who is rescued and goes to live in the Big Apple. It has witty comedy, drama and is overall unpredictable in the best way.

9. The Office

Once again, no brainer. It’ll make you laugh and cry all in the same episode. The entire last season is a heart-wrencher, nothing quite like it.

10. Shameless

Although I’m only on season two, I think this is phenomenal show, it’s well written, and has a little bit of everything. Regardless of your background and upbringing, you can take something away from Shameless