Unpopular Opinion: Vaping Is Dumb
Health Wellness

Unpopular Opinion: Vaping Is Dumb

Vaping is no better than smoking cigarettes.

1144
Photo by Nery Zarate on Unsplash
Photo by Nery Zarate on Unsplash

Vaping has become the biggest new trend for young adults and I don't like it. Here's why:

Vaping is causing children to get addicted to nicotine without even knowing it.

A study from April 2018 by The Truth Initiative found that many young people (63% of JUUL users between the ages of fifteen and twenty-four) did not know there was nicotine in the vape pods they were smoking.

That is a very significant statistic; it's more than half of JUUL users. Kids are vaping because their friends and older siblings are and obviously they don't take the time to research how much nicotine is in vape pods. It's "cool" to vape in their eyes. In mine, it's just not a smart decision because it leads to addiction.

Vaping has serious health risks associated with it.

The nicotine found in vaping products can cause high blood pressure, stroke, coronary disease, etc. There is actually the same amount of nicotine in one JUUL pod as an entire pack of cigarettes.

Other health risks users face are the scarring of their bronchioles and lung tissue damage.

If a person switches from vaping to smoking tobacco products there are obvious risks such as lung cancer which is possible from the carcinogens contained in the products.

Vape pens have a record of blowing up or burning users.

Now, believe it or not, a man has literally died from a vape pen exploding in his face.

Yes, you read that right. He died.

According to The Washington Post, a twenty-four-year-old man in Fort Worth, TX died in February of 2019 from the trauma of a vape pen exploding in his face.

The article also mentions that there was more than 2,000 vape pen explosion and burn injuries in the United States from 2015 to 2017.

Don't let me tell you what to do because that isn't my intention. However, I encourage you to think about whether vaping is a good decision for your physical well-being.