Young And Conservative: An Open Letter To All You Lefties Out There

A non-politically correct rant from the mind of a fed up young conservative.

17
Business Insider

What do you picture when you hear the words conservative Republican? You probably think racist, old white men in a smoke-filled room? Or maybe you envision trim, proper, reserved, privileged young men with trust funds? Or how about redneck hillbillies with AR-15s and a Tea Party flag in 4x4 diesel truck? Those images have probably crossed your mind, but that’s not who I am. I mean I kind of am—I do love me a good cigar and shooting an AR-15 at the range—but that’s not my point. I’m more than a stereotype, I am an individual. A certain set of beliefs governs my living, but by no means do those beliefs translate to a character identity. I’m not a part of your little compartmentalized groups that you lefties love to place people in. Nope, I am who I am.

Lefties love to preach love, tolerance, and acceptance so long as you fit their narrative. The minute they find out you disagree with their beliefs, all that hippie fluff stuff goes out the window. Growing up in the deep blue state of California, I always have to be on the defensive concerning my ideas. I guess that’s a good thing, because it forces me to put in extra work and research on the issues. Being challenged constantly by those who disagree with you is a good way to develop some thick skin. That’s why the concept of safe spaces or the idea that words hurt, to me, is utter garbage. If words hurt, I’d be coming home everyday bruised and beaten down.

Now you expect to go to college for an education, but the fact is all you’re getting is some leftie mumbo jumbo. And you wonder why the kids today can’t find a job? I majored in English because I enjoyed good literature and I wanted to learn some skills associated with critical thinking and writing. Now don’t get me wrong—some professors do try to give their students an education, but quite a number of professors try to impose their political beliefs as knowledge rather than opinion. I didn’t major in English to hear some professor’s opinion on economic policy or political theory when that professor spent his life studying neither economic policy or political theory. Everybody has an opinion on politics, which is fine, however, when you try to pass off your opinion as fact or knowledge, that’s not education, that’s indoctrination.

Honestly, I have no problem with people who lean left politically, it’s that they have a problem with me. The conversations I have had with the true believers of progressive liberal political philosophies have been very disturbing. As a conservative it is my nature to respect the sovereignty of the individual, to respect that you are entitled to your beliefs and liberties as I am entitled to mines. This respect for one another is an acknowledgment of the free society that we live in.

The understanding that I will not force any of my beliefs on you and that, in fact, I want you to be free to do what you want so long as it does not affect me is the foundation of the conservative mind. The lefties I’ve met don’t agree. They don’t want a coexistence with my ideologies—no, they want to see my beliefs destroyed, wiped out, erased, and thrown away. Tolerance doesn’t apply to conservatives in a progressive world. The freedom to choose is limited to the collective good and the majority voice of the mob.

If you think that my little rant is more than a little extreme or that I am tarnishing all the good liberal out there, that all my statements are false, please prove me and the rest of the conservatives in this country wrong.