What I Wish I Could Tell Freshman Year Me, A Couple Of Years Later
Freshman

Here's some advice I would give to 18-year-old me, moving away from home for the first time, for college.

188
Makayla Smith

As a junior in college, I feel like I have so much to look back on for the last three years. It feels like freshman year was just yesterday and now we're scheduling for senior classes.

I remember the second semester of freshman year, my friends and I decided to have one of many girls night out. Once we got settled my friend and I went to the bathroom to see what all the commotion was about. As we walk into the bathroom, I see this group of girls all wearing the same black tank-top that said "Senior Bar Crawl 2016." And that's basically where social hour began. One of the girls came up to my friend and me and said "Are you two freshman?" and we were all like "Um, yes?" Not even 30 seconds later, her entire group of friends started screaming about how much they wish they could go back to being a freshman and to make every second count.

Then, I didn't even realize how right they were.

What I wish I could tell freshman year me, you might ask? Well, this might take a minute.

I wish I could go back and tell myself, to slow down. Give yourself a break and take in every single moment with the people around you because one day, your best friends won't be living three doors down. Cherish every two, and a half hour car ride spent listening to the Grease soundtrack on your way back to campus with your momma after a weekend home.

I wish I could go back and tell myself that it is okay to not know the answer. Everything was so new and so unfamiliar, adjusting to a new home in a whole new city is an adjustment. Yes, classes are hard but they get better over time. Ask for help whenever you need it because, why not?

I wish I could go back and tell myself to do all the cheesy campus activities. Yes, they are super weird and sometimes annoying but those are more things to look back on to remember freshman year. Make your friends come along even if they don't want to because these opportunities and these moments won't last forever.

I wish I could go back and tell myself it's okay to be selfish. Not hanging out with friends to study for exams is okay. Deciding to stay in and have a movie night alone is okay. Right now is the perfect time to be as selfish as you want. People always associate the word selfish as something bad but for me, that is not always the case.

Looking ahead to my senior year and all the memories yet to happen, I am going to take everything I have learned and all the things I have experienced to make this next year the craziest, fun and spectacular year yet.

So, thank you.

Thank you to those senior girls for making me realize how short of a time we have living in our college towns with our best friends.

Class of 2020, it is almost our turn.