Why You Should Never Debate with a Political Science Major

272

By the time you get to college you should know if you are a natural debater or not. As political science majors, we’ve known that we love to argue since we came out of the womb. We spend hours educating ourselves on the different views in our government and whether or not we want to go with them. We are constantly torn between having fun, or running for president. So instead of doing normal fun college things, we lower the risk of being Snapped and put on Instagram by reading John Locke excerpts.

We practice arguing, and at some point we have perfected it. We watch it, study it and even argue with ourselves in a daily basis. We know when we’re wrong, and sometimes we will even admit it. But if you don’t have the thing you need to back yourself up, we will call you out; it’s what we have trained to do. We have the ability to feel out what your political views are by listening to you speak and once we’ve done that, its all over.

When we do realize that we are wrong we will ask questions, questions we know you cannot answer. We have gotten used to people calling us names, it will not lessen our argument. True scholars will never change their opinions until proven completely and utterly 100 percent wrong. We have spent nights learning about the boring little details of our government that the average person—AKA natural science major—will never come to know and understand on their own.

Chances are if the conversation is going in circles we will no longer entertain your argument, for we have worse things that need to be done. If you get caught in a lie, we will be very blunt, and continue to call you out on your foolishness. Lastly, If you are a Poli Sci major arguing with another Poli Sci major, the probability of you hearing/saying the phrase “But that’s what I’m saying” will increase and when you realize this, you know that’s when you need to stop.

So the next time you plan on getting in a quarrel with someone, evaluate the situation. If you happen to know that they major in Political Science, save your energy and theirs and take your breath elsewhere. And know that sooner or later, the time will come when that Political Science major will lose.