Why You Need To Listen To Lorde's New Music

It's unlike anything in today's musical landscape.

80
thefader.com

Early this month, singer-songwriter Lorde released new song "Green Light" after a bit of fittingly mysterious and eery promotion. It was a wild day, with this bomb song on repeat for the entire day. This comes just about four years after her first LP "Pure Heroine" was released, featuring the hits "Royals" and "Team."

I've been following Lorde ever since I saw her enchanting, dark music video for "Tennis Court" -- I was immediately intrigued. This was prior to her releasing of "Pure Heroine," so my hunger for her alternative sound and lyrics that were creatively inspiring, socially biting, and beautifully constructed was filled by her EP, "The Love Club." When "Pure Heroine" was finally released, it was all I listened to as I (admittedly, horribly and so painfully off-key/tune/every other musical term), sang along. Her lyrics inspired my own writing numerous times, and were just overall so accessible and meaningful.

So it really goes without saying that I love Lorde and her music quite a bit. The way she performs is (what some use as a joke/attack) unlike anything I've ever seen, yet its familiar in the sense that she lets the music consume her and take over, as this is her passion. I think most of us can relate to that feeling of overwhelming passion and creative energy; Lorde just takes these feelings and creates a visual representation through her dancing.

When my friends and I saw the promos for Lorde's new music, our worlds stopped for those couple days. Then came March 3rd, and Lorde dropped a new music video for her song "Green Light." We all had to take a seat. So here's the part where I try to convince you how great both "Green Light" and "Liability" (her other new song, released just a few days ago) are.

These two new songs are incredible representations of growth, while maintaining the integrity and originality that initially drew masses to Lorde. The productions of both "Green Light" and "Liability" are vastly different from what "Pure Heroine" gave us, yet the descriptive, insightful and honest lyrics, along with her unique delivery is still there. Her voice is better than ever, bouncing from powerful to vulnerable. You can tell that Lorde really took her time in meditating on where she was going as an individual, rather than sticking to merely what made her famous, as amazing as that work was. Her music feels thoughtful, like each piece was carefully mulled over -- that is not something you can say about a lot of music in today's musical landscape.

"Green Light" is more of an upbeat, dance-pop song that details heartbreak, but views it from a different perspective from your everyday pop phenomenon. She accepts the longing and the feelings she is going through as a part of a natural process following a big change. As biting and intense as the lyrics are, the song is still so hopeful. It makes you want to shout along to the anthemic choruses with Lorde, as you both look toward the future. And the future is a place filled with unknown faces and experiences, and she acknowledges this. Not only are the lyrics relatable, they are more personal than ever. You can hear the growth and maturity in her voice and the different ways she expresses each word. This is all overlaying a fascinatingly disparate yet cohesive loop through the instrumental, as she sings over piano-led verses, before transitioning to a fast-paced, electronic-based pre-chorus, and finally, the percussion-led huge choruses. It builds in anticipation and energy and is masterly matched with the lyrics.

And for those of you hoping for more lyrics that take aim at society and its concept of fame, look no further than the poignant "Liability." This piano ballad (in which, it should be noted, that sometimes the pressing of each key is so gentle you can just barely hear it, makes this that much more personal and vulnerable) is elevated by the clever lyrics that focus on nurturing one's relationship with oneself. As much as you may be a "liability" to other people, you come first and must make sure that your relationship with yourself is healthy. Towards the beginning of the song, she paints a picture of going back to another person, and finding comfort in an embrace; however, the lyrics: "all that a stranger would see is one girl swaying alone stroking her cheek" tell all, and exemplify the intimacy and independence that this song is talking about. You are the only person that you are guaranteed to be with for the rest of your life. While she speaks partially of fame, and how people begin to use you until they become bored, this song is accessible to anyone. Everyone, no matter status, has felt this way at one point or another. She ends on another hopeful note, as she croons that she'll disappear into the sun, a place that symbolizes light and warmth and a type of enlightenment akin to the maturity that she has shown in these two songs.

Lorde's new music shows significant insight, and has taken on a new shade of hope. Her expression is more confident and experimental, with the hints of hip-hop and deep, eery electronic sounds that make her so unique alongside completely new ground and technique that she hasn't exactly utilized before. It's exciting, it's new, it's powerful. She acknowledges that there will be struggle, and doesn't tread lightly over hardship -- she looks at it in the face, personifying it, feeling its bite, and writes incredible music to express that process. These two songs have been the most honest I have heard in a while, from most. I sincerely cannot wait to hear the masterpiece that will be "Melodrama" this June.