Why We Should Vote in This Year's Election

College students should exercise their right to vote. And here's why.

23

Contrary to the popular belief that college students haven’t entered the “real world” yet, we do have many responsibilities as adults that reflect our future. Entering adulthood comes with our constitutional right to vote.

We are the only voters with college students in mind. While older voters focus on issues such as health insurance and global warming, college students are the only people who specifically focus on the needs of college students. We are the only people currently experiencing issues such as student loans, educational standards or admissions policies. Therefore, we are the most qualified to vote in order to better these issues for ourselves. The policies we vote for today will have a huge influence on our lives after college.

The college vote can swing elections. There are more than 75 million of us, but politicians won’t address student needs without student votes. They are aware of who votes in each election, and they are more likely to support initiatives from groups with the highest voter turnout. College students must turnout in greater numbers in order to have a significant political influence.

People vote for what they believe in. If we don’t vote for what we believe in, others will, and their beliefs will overpower ours.

The future depends on us. Younger generations who cannot vote depend on us to do it for them. When we voice our concerns about schools, safety and housing, we are looking out for the future of not only ourselves, but also of future generations.

Voting is our chance to make a difference. When we vote, we are actually telling elected officials and lawmakers how we feel about education, public safety, social security, health care, environmental issues, etc. When we vote, we can get the results that we can actually see.

People fought for our right to vote. Regardless of your race, gender or age, your vote came at a price. We are voting to honor the sacrifices others made in order for our votes to be heard.

Go voice your opinions, stand up for what you believe in and vote!