Do not let your past experiences determine who you help
Religion

1 Peter 4;10 Each one of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms.

564
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Helping_the_homeless.jpg

I believe almost everyone has had someone that took them for granted somewhere along this journey called life. If that has never happened to you, you are so blessed, but be ready because it will happen. I have been taken for granted way too many times to count. It is one thing to be taken for granted by strangers. It is a whole other story when it is by the people you love that you will have to help again. Then, you start calling them ungrateful.

If calling them ungrateful was the only thing that happened, then it would have been great. But, something else happens when you are taken for granted too often. You start by asking yourself these questions subconsciously: why am I helping them? why do I still help even when they take me for granted? why can't they see my sacrifice? are they only there because they need my help? are they using me? why should I help other people if the cycle keeps on repeating? why do they always come to me? I have also asked myself if people cannot find other people to help them. I have asked myself so many why's that I cannot even begin to count.

God naturally created me to be a helper; He gave me that helping heart. I would always volunteer to help in any way that I can whether we are close friends or not. But I got to a point where I got taken for granted too much that I started questioning everything before I help and it was exhausting. Believe me, if you are at a place where you are like I won't help anymore because of what so and so have done, I understand you. I used to think that people that are in my life are only there to use me because that is what everyone else has been doing. I used to think that I am that friend that when " they need me they know I'm here, but when everything is well they don't know me." I realized that I was so wrong about this mindset. If you have this mindset, maybe you are wrong about it too just MAYBE.

What if those people that we claim to only know us when they need us didn't actually choose us, but they were led to us? Why should we let an innocent person that actually need us pay the price for what someone else did? What if that is the gift that God has given us? What good will it be if we only help those who are thankful?

Luke 6:33-36 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High,because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
1 Peter 4:9-11 Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen

The purest person that walked this earth "JESUS CHRIST" was taken for granted. In fact, He is being taken for granted every day when we intentionally sin against Him without caring about His sacrifice for us on the cross. Or when we simply don't recognize what He has done for us. Even then, He still continues to love us, and He is still there waiting for us to repent, He is there waiting to help. Here is an example of when one out of ten thanked Jesus for healing.

Luke 17:11-19 Now on his way to Jerusalem, Jesus traveled along the border between Samaria and Galilee. As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance and called out in a loud voice, "Jesus, Master, have pity on us!" When he saw them, he said, "Go, show yourselves to the priests." And as they went, they were cleansed. One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. He threw himself at Jesus' feet and thanked him—and he was a Samaritan. Jesus asked, "Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? Has no one returned to give praise to God except this foreigner?" Then he said to him, "Rise and go; your faith has made you well."

If even Jesus the son of God was taken for granted, so will we. But, He is our example and we should follow Him. Do not get me wrong, I am not at all encouraging the ungrateful to stay ungrateful. I am encouraging you to not let people get in the way of you being a blessing to others. Being able to be a blessing to others is one of the greatest blessings. One thing I try my very best to do now is discerning how and when I use that gift that God gave me. Also, knowing that when I help I don't do it for the other person I do it for God helps a lot. If you have the mindset that everything you are doing, you are doing it for heavenly reasons and not earthly ones, then not receiving a thank you or recognition will not trouble you as much. I have been there and I know the difference.

Colossians 3:23-24 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

But, always remember Luke 6:31 "do others as you would have them to do to you." In other words, be grateful and be a blessing to others.

Xoxo,

DD