Why I’m Voting For Charles Booker Instead Of Amy McGrath
Currently

Why I’m Voting For Charles Booker, Not Amy McGrath, To Defeat Mitch McConnell

Before the last couple of weeks, I was still on the fence regarding who I would vote for.

506

Kentucky's primary election is in two weeks, and it honestly could not be coming at a more crucial and eye-opening time. In the midst of a pandemic and economic recession gripping the U.S., hundreds of thousands of people have stood up around the world to protest against the murder of black people by police in America. Not only that, but fundamental changes to the way our justice system functions as a whole, though long championed for by a smaller group of people, have now truly taken the center stage.

With states finishing up primary elections in the next month or so, the eyes of the public are on the statements shared and — more importantly — the actions taken by politicians in response.

Considering Kentucky's leadership specifically, there are two frontrunners in the race to defeat Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell this election: Amy McGrath and Charles Booker.

Two years ago, I was a very vocal supporter of Amy McGrath when she ran against Rep. Andy Barr (even if I wasn't yet able to vote at the time), so when this campaign cycle started up, I figured that she would be the clear candidate to oppose McConnell this November. What I enjoyed about McGrath the last time she ran for office was that she seemed very level-headed and logical in her approach. Recognizing that she's running in a state that has consistently voted McConnell into the same position of power for nearly 30 years, McGrath took care in showing Kentucky's more conservative voters that she has a history they had to respect — having served in the Marine Corps for 20 years as a fighter pilot, she's commanded attention.

Since last election, though, McGrath has said certain things that turned me off to voting for her this year, including a statement that she would have approved the confirmation of Supreme Court Justice — and accused rapist — Brett Kavanaugh.

Enter Kentucky progressive Charles Booker. Having heard impressive things about him from my friends and family members who are big fans of his, along with doing my own research on his platforms, I realized that there was finally a strong candidate in Kentucky who unapologetically stood for the things I believe in. He comes across as very human — understanding, open, and willing to admit that he alone cannot solve Kentucky's problems without listening to the voice of the people. He doesn't bother with political jargon that alienates and intimidates voters, while still coming across as intelligent and extremely capable.

Truth be told, before the last couple of weeks, I was still on the fence regarding who I would vote for come on June 23. Although McGrath has problematic instances in her past, she also fared well last election against an incumbent Republican, and I couldn't yet place her in front of Booker or vice versa.

However, then came Ahmaud Arbery's death. Followed by George Floyd's. Followed by more news of Breonna Taylor's, which took place in March here in Kentucky. Followed by the fatal shooting of David McAtee on June 1 by Louisville Police nowhere near the protests taking place that night. Followed by a growing number of worldwide protesters, petitions, donations, and educational campaigns on social media to draw long-overdue national attention to the injustices that black Americans grapple with every day.

What I've seen in response from one politician was disappointing, to say the least.

What I've seen from the other has been a true display of leadership, compassion, and honesty that Kentucky desperately needs.

Booker is the latter of the two.

From the beginning, he took part in protests in downtown Louisville, speaking in front of the crowds on occasion and marching alongside the people he represents. After marching in a Louisville protest on May 29 — where peaceful people were met with gas — Booker posted a video sharing the pain he felt, and a reminder that the roots of our issues and the pain of so many people should not be disregarded or looked down on as less important than lost revenue or damaged property. The caption of these posts ended with “[R]emember that I love you." After David McAtee's killing, Booker publicly called for a “full and transparent" investigation into what took place that night, calling it a “travesty" and “absolutely avoidable."

Amy McGrath, on the other hand, has thus far used the protests and movements taking place to make promises of changes she would make, should she be elected to office. This is all fine and well, but there is little tangible action she is taking to back up those promises, and they have altogether bled into a backdrop of empty noise coming from many politicians right now. Last week, she took part in a forum on race issues via Zoom with the Bluegrass Activism Alliance, but that seems to be all she's done. She hasn't shared the voices or stories of any of her black supporters and has not sufficiently spoken out regarding the deaths of Breonna Taylor or David McAtee, two Kentuckians.

There is very little excuse, especially as a Democrat in America right now running against a very powerful man who cares very little for the rights of black Americans, to not be raising up the voices of the people you say you're standing for. It is frustrating to see McGrath only give her takes (as a white woman) on what is going on, and only in the context of what will get her more votes without saying anything truly meaningful.

The other day, when I filled out my absentee ballot and mailed it to my County Clerk, marking my vote for Charles Booker was a no-brainer. I voted for him because I believe that, with his leadership, Kentucky could be a place that stands for everyone, rather than for the few. Everything he says, he says with his chest, he never waits for someone else to speak up first before saying what's right. As he himself said it best, “You will never have to ask where I stand. You know exactly where to find me."