Why I'm Unplugging in 2020

Why I'm Unplugging in 2020

Pulling the plug on social media will not be easy, but here's why I'm ready to try.

8
Why I'm Unplugging in 2020
Photo by Tracy Le Blanc from Pexels

Even though I might say it every year, and it might be as typical as most New Year's resolutions get, I want to commit to spending less time on social media in 2020. I have many reasons for this, the obvious one being the need to focus on school during what will prove to be my most challenging semester yet. However, aside from time management and academic related goals that can be accomplished by cutting out social media, I am hopeful that this decision will dramatically improve my mental health and my social relationships with those around me. The true success of this endeavor will entirely depend on how well I can stay true to my own word.

I use social media as a distraction and an escape from my responsibilities and stress. It doesn't matter which platform it is; if it can provide me with ephemeral and satisfying entertainment, then I can easily be found scrolling through picture after picture, video after video. Slime videos, food videos, satisfying videos, or anything that will take my mind off the present is a deadly vice for me. The content doesn't matter to me, but the time I spend there does, and it has the power to completely derail my productivity.

Another important reason why I've decided to leave social media in 2019 is because of how emotionally draining it can be. When I'm not looking at silly videos to pass the time, I'm scrolling through the highlight reel of people who may or may not even be in my life anymore. I can easily tell myself that what we see on Instagram isn't truly representative of someone's life, but the problem is actually convincing myself that this is true. Even subconsciously, I am constantly measuring my life to the smiling faces I scroll past, and this unhealthy habit can quickly become exhausting. It's unfair to assume that someone else's life is perfect, and it's also unfair to assume that mine isn't. By limiting time on social media, I can be sure to redirect that energy towards improving myself.

The biggest challenge with quitting Instagram or Snapchat would be that a lot of my correspondence with friends and family is through those apps. However, limiting my time spent on those apps doesn't mean I need to cut off communication with people who are important to me. It will, however, force me to become more creative and make more of a conscious effort to stay in touch with friends. I believe that this has the power to strengthen my relationships and make them more fulfilling. Replacing a daily picture of my face to keep the streak with a daily question asking about someone's day could be just what our friendship needed.

I'm not sure how long this resolution will last, and I know I've tried it time and time again. This time, however, I have a new found motivation for doing it, and my reasons are more personal than they have been in the past. Regardless of how long this lasts, I hope I will be able to learn from the experience, as well as bring the same energy to my other New Year's resolutions.