Why I'm Not a Feminist

Why I'm Not a Feminist

151
Why I'm Not a Feminist

I believe that women are strong, beautiful creatures capable of doing great things. There is nothing wrong with an independent woman. However, I think feminists have taken certain issues to the extreme. I think that men and women both play important roles in society, but they are inherently different.

Feminists historically despise Ephesians 5:22. "Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands". They cite this as a flaw in Christianity, claiming it as outdated and ignorant. What they fail to realize is the context that this verse is taken out of. The word 'submit' is not meant as some derogatory command. This is a simple instruction for a healthy marriage. Doesn't a wife want to make her husband happy? The husband is designed by God to be the leader of the household and to be the breadwinner. The wife is his support.

The other thing about this verse that people often don't talk about is the verse that follows it, which says: "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her." This is HUGE. Husbands are not dictators who are free to order their wives around like slaves. They have rules and responsibilities, too. They are commanded to love and act as Christ did when he gave his life for the church. Husbands are commanded to love their wives enough to die for them.

I think these are pretty good rules. I'll 'submit' to you and you die for me. Seems fair enough. The biblical structure of marriage, when executed properly, works. You can't both be strong leaders and you can't both be passive followers. It doesn't mean the husband trumps the wife's opinion. It means that it's a tie and take between the leader and the support system.

As humans, we are different on so many levels for a reason (biologically, mentally, emotionally etc.). There are some things that women are better designed for. There is a reason that more women are teachers, nurses, or homemakers. We are caring and nurturing. There's no doubt in my mind that a woman could be a construction worker if she wanted to, but we are by nature more inclined to certain activities.

I'm not implying that a woman can't be CEO. And I'm not at all saying that discrimination doesn't exist. But for the most part, I believe that since men and women are so different, it is okay that they have different roles in society and in respect to each other.

In conclusion: go women. Don't let pride stop you from doing something you're good at just because feminists would tell you that you're making a mistake. But don't be afraid to be a girl.