What's your relationship status?

Why I Like Being Single

What's your relationship status?

45
Why I Like Being Single

I've gotta say, lately I've been hearing a lot of people complain about wanting to be in a relationship and thinking that it's never going to happen. Why? I'm not saying there's no benefit to being in a relationship, but it's not like being single has no benefits either. Being single is pretty great, actually. Let me tell you why:

I Can Do Whatever I Want

I can wear what I want, think what I want, and say what I want and not have to worry about a partner who will get upset by it or not approve of it. It's honestly nice not having to worry 'what's he going to think if I do this,' or 'If I say this, will he get upset?' NO! Speak your mind, girl, you don't have any expectations to uphold. Go ahead and wear that somewhat too revealing outfit too while you're at. Who's gonna stop you?

I Can Be Selfish, And That's Perfectly Okay

Being selfish has always been frowned upon in society, but to be honest, is there anything actually wrong with putting yourself first? Absolutely not. In fact, sometimes it's necessary. Besides, when you're single, you don't have a second person that you have to take care of- it's just you. In actuality, selfishness is just self-love, and there's 100% nothing bad about that. You can't love someone else until you learn to love yourself, you know? Being selfish teaches you that.

No Emotional Pressure

When you're in a relationship it can be so emotionally draining. Getting into arguments with your significant other, having the pressure of commitment, it's all a lot to take in. And yes while being in a relationship can be a beautiful thing, it can also take a toll on a person mentally and emotionally. There's a lot of expectations on your shoulders in a relationship. When you're single, you're free of all of that, and you can put more attention onto other things that are important in your life like family, career, goals, etc.

Less Stress

Relationships can add a lot of stress to a persons life. In big AND little ways. From stupid things like what you should get your significant other for their birthday or a holiday to major things like finally taking that next step in your relationship, whatever it may be, relationships are very stressful.

Think of it this way: when you're single you don't have anyone else's opinions to worry about except your own. In a relationship, your significant others thoughts and feelings are just as important as your own. While you may think you know your partner pretty well, there's still always that chance that you can be totally wrong. This is especially true in a newer relationship. No two people think exactly the same about everything, and finding/dealing with those things you differ on can potentially become an issue. Those issues can add a lot of stress not only to the relationship but to the individuals in the relationship as well.

I'm Allowed To Flirt

Look, you may be cuffed, but you're not blind. There's a lot of attractive people in the world who are NOT your significant other. But you can't do anything about it obviously because you're in a relationship and even flirting is considered micro-cheating. Being single is great because you're not tied to one person. I'm not saying if you're single you should try to get with every guy or girl you see, but there's no harm in flirting with people. Talk to the cute guy at a party, compliment the pretty girl you see in class, who cares? If you're single, you can just go for it.

Personal Space

Might be my favorite part about being single. I can't tell you enough how unattractive it is when a significant other is clingy. Double, triple+ texts/calls asking what you're up to or just repetitively saying, "I miss you," is a no go. Sure it can be nice at first having so much of someone's attention, but that crap gets real old real fast. The honeymoon phase doesn't last forever, then it's just annoying. Especially if you're a normally busy person. As a single pringle, you don't have to worry about someone blowing up your phone, constantly bugging you to hang out when you've already said you can't.

Plus, you don't have to dedicate free time to relationship time. You can have a chill night watching youtube or catching up on a TV show, without worrying about spending time with your partner. Yes, when you're in a relationship you should want to spend time with your partner, but sometimes, you need to be alone. Everyone needs alone time. Being single, I can have as much me time as I want, and it's pretty great.

My Heart Is Safer

This one's kind of a given, but hear me out.

When you're in a relationship, there may be times when little thoughts pop into the back of your mind. These thoughts include what your partner's doing, where they are, who they're with. Every relationship always has that chance of ending in a broken heart, and there's no age restriction on this. It's not like when you're older, you're less likely to have a breakup, i.e. divorce.

I'm not saying be single forever or anything like that, but there's nothing wrong with being single. I don't really understand the whole "forever alone," thing. First, there's someone out there for everyone. Second, there's nothing wrong with independence.

So if you're between relationships, don't complain about not having a special someone because you'll find one eventually, and in the meantime, you don't have to worry about some boy or girl breaking your heart.

When it comes down to it, life is what you make of it, whether you're with someone or not. You don't have to rely on having a boyfriend or girlfriend to be happy, make your own happiness. Besides, you know what they say: the minute you stop looking for a relationship, that's when you'll find one.

So just do your thing.

Life can be crazy unexpected.

Just go with the flow.

If that means being single, trust me, it's not the end of the world.