Why Do You Want a Background Check?

Why Do You Want a Background Check?

If you’ve implemented background checks as part of a safe and wise hiring strategy, you should be prepared for questions. Here are the best answers.

31
Why Do You Want a Background Check?

Right now, it’s a paradise for job seekers, and the competition for good talent is fierce. You should be prepared for questions if you’ve implemented background checks as part of a safe and wise hiring strategy. Many candidates will find the background check intrusive and balk at your request. Having a fully transparent process and ready information will help put most applicants at ease. Here are the best ways to answer the inevitable questions.

Why?

It’s not unusual for candidates to ask why you conduct background checks. Your answer can emphasize the following:

●It’s our priority to make informed hiring decisions based on verifiable information.

●It’s our standard policy.

●Background checks help us create a safe environment for all our employees.

●If applicable, you can also make candidates aware of any background screening mandates that affect your industry.

Does everyone get screened?

Your answer here really must be yes. Background check policies are only fair if they are uniformly and universally applied to all applicants for a given position.

What are you looking for?

As you devised your background check policy, you spent time determining what background information was relevant to each position in your organization. You can bring all that work to the table when you explain the following:

●We want to verify that every candidate has the qualifications needed to succeed in their new position.

●We want to ensure that no one we hire creates a knowable risk to our organization, employees, assets, or reputation.

●We want to comply with all regulations relating to our industry. For example, if you’re hiring a driver, you can explain that you’ll pull motor vehicle reports and look for a clean driving history.

This is also a good opportunity to emphasize fairness and that you make an effort to consider the specific circumstances of each individual before making a final decision.

Can I see the report?

If you’re working with a professional screening vendor with a streamlined candidate portal, you can highlight how the candidate can follow the background check’s progress. This is a perfect opening to make the candidate comfortable by explaining the process. You can also explain how adverse actions will happen and what the candidate can do to respond.

Can I explain?

Again, emphasize that you offer every candidate the opportunity to explain or provide context. This is not required but is welcome.

The Value of Clear Communication

Clear communication facilitates a smoother, more positive background check experience for all. Providing clear answers about your policy and why it’s important are the best ways you can alleviate concerns and get candidate buy-in.