Why do we want to impress people with money we do not have?

What most people won’t accept is that society will never truly accept you for you.

68
Marbella

Why do we as a society, as a community, and as individuals like to compare ourselves and our own personal accomplishments and journeys to one another? You never really truly know somebody and the steps they have taken to get to where they are; whether that be, you are the most successful person in the world or someone just getting by living from pay check to pay check.

One of the greatest things about life is that we have the gift of choice. We choose everyday whether or not to do something, we decide when we pay our bills, when we talk to others, give compliments or criticism, we even choose when we purchase unnecessary items in our life. So why do we decide to spend money we don’t have to impress people we will never know or even meet, for an example of this situation, buying a sports car something most everybody knows that if you are driving one it probably cost you a chunk of money, if you have that kind of income that allows you to spend In such a manner; well that is up to you, but if you are one of those people who spend money you don’t have to afford this unnecessary item nobody really knows that that sports car you drive had you jump thought leaps and bounds just to get it half way in your possession, and for what? To impress people sitting at a stop light yeah you might have some undefined glory in that but it is not an investment worth anything for you. Your new car could be totaled in seconds, for what? An "approval" from society? In all reality it is only giving you more debt than you already have.Even worse we spend the money we do not have not just to impress people we don’t know we try to impress people we don’t even like, all there is is envy and jealousy. Is it even worth the attention if you’re drowning in debt how would you feel if the person you are trying to one up or "impress" is in the exact same boat as you and are putting themselves in debt just to one up you? It is a vicious cycle of needing to fit in and be a part of a social network of defining our worth through our possessions.

What most people won’t accept is that society will never truly accept you for you. all of the peer pressure all of the stress and time that goes into being the "best" will only amount into realizing there is something “better” than what you have already worked so hard to have. The simple fact is as long as you try your hardest in this life to be a good person, take care of the things that are important to you, and show people the real you the one who is not trying to impress the society for its idiotic beliefs of wealth and accomplishments. So here’s the question, Why do we spend money we do not have to impress people we do not know, or even like?