Why Are We So Quick To Judge

Why Are We So Quick To Judge

The ultimate judge is God, not us.

5544
ministrytoyouth.com

According to Merriam Webster Dictionary, the simple definition of “Judge” means to form an opinion about something or someone after careful thought. But, often, I don’t think that we even think carefully before we judge someone. We look at a person walking down the street and just based on their appearance or the way they are talking or acting, we immediately judge them. The crazy thing is the fact that we think we are capable of judging, when we have no right to do so. The ultimate judge is God.

We are told all of our lives not to judge. There’s the good ole saying, “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” We still do it anyway and will continue to do so. I’ll be out with my friends, and we can just simply look at someone or multiple people and laugh, smirk, joke, or give them a dirty look. I sound like a terrible person, but almost all of us do this without even realizing it. After I do it, I feel bad and have to tell myself to stop. I should not have to make myself stop judging others. I shouldn’t be doing it in the first place.

You really do not know what goes on in other people’s lives. When we see others out in public, we don’t know a single thing about them. We may think we do, but we sure don’t. Just because they are eating alone, doesn’t mean they do not have people to eat with or that they are lame. Just because someone looks like they haven’t showered in days or have on dirty clothes, that does not mean they are homeless or poor. We just do not know, so why are we so quick to judge?

We are so quick to judge because it is what we do best. We place ourselves or sometimes others on a pedestal and either think more or less of others based on what we see on the outside. We think we are good at it, but in fact, we definitely aren’t.

Matthew 7: 1-3 says, “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye.” Why not take a look at yourself instead of spending so much time looking at others. We can easily call out others or point out their flaws, but we can’t do that to ourselves. This verse is so powerful and gives you a different perspective on judging.

We often think we know everything, when really we know little to nothing. The next time you are quick to judge, try talking to God about it and have him help you with this. It is very hard to tell yourself not to judge and follow through with it, that is why it is imperative to talk to God about it. Take a look into your own life the next time you feel the need to judge someone else.