Who Is Our Healthcare System Actually Helping?

How the U.S. is failing while other countries are thriving in the medical world.

34

2030; A year that many hope will be progressive but will actually turn out to be the very opposite. From 2010-2030, the total projected cancer incidence is predicted to increase by 45% (from 1.6 mil-2.3 mil) according to the US National Library of Medicine.

Many believe that modern medicine has been improving over the past few years, but a lot of research has shown that it has been doing the exact opposite. Due to the US’ capitalist mindset towards healthcare, the system is skewed. Doctors in the country aren’t used to providing preventative care through things such as natural remedies.

Also things such as universal healthcare are deemed irrelevant in the country due to the complexity of the system that exists today. The US should reform their view on healthcare in that natural remedies should be legitimized, healthcare should be more universal, and treatment should be looked at in a more preventative manner. The view the country holds today leaves little room for improvement.

Everything in the US is geared towards the capitalist mindset. Even the medical world is all about making money. The healthcare system in the United States is much different from healthcare provided in many other countries around the world. The amount of adults that avoid doctor’s visits is expontential and it’s all due to the simple fact that healthcare in this country is too expensive. Not only is it more expensive than it is in other countries but it’s also not as affective.

One thinks about the huge pharmaceutical companies that would lose an insane amount of profit if another remedy would be used to cure serious and common health problems such as cancer. Unlike many countries, the US tries to avoid the idea of universal healthcare due to the fact that the US government believes in the “laissez faire” policy.

It’s hard to imagine a world in which everyone is given an equal opportunity to healthcare. The amount of money that Americans have to spend every year in order to be as healthy as possible is staggering (FIG 1). All of this is due to the fact that unlike many countries in Europe or around the world, the United States’ view on the economy seems to be of more importance than the importance of the citizens’ health.

Currently, the Prostate Cancer Foundation raised $500 million for research according to their website, but no one truly knows where that money goes. Money could be funneled to the heads of the NGOs or they could also be given to pharmaceutical companies that make certain anti-cancer drugs, such as chemo pills, but in the end, those chemotherapy pills do more damage than good.

A 43-year-old male glioblastoma patient (which is a type of brain cancer) was asked what he thought of the cancer treatment in the United States to which he responded, “I would have never thought that the States would make it so difficult to treat a disease that is this serious. It is crazy to think about the number of people that are affected by this awful condition as well. The least the States could do is allow for more options, not just chemo and radiation.” He also later stated that the chemotherapy actually did more damage than good, stating that he felt far more weak and depressed rather than energized. His MRIs also showed little improvement as he was doing the suggested chemotherapy and radiation.

The United States does not necessarily look to prevent cancer from happening. It instead waits until the patient is diagnosed and then the doctors act to cure it instead as opposed to the view that many other countries around the world have.

US doctors prescribe medicine in a different way than doctors in places such as Europe, but it is no fault of their own. The medical schools in the US teach doctors to prescribe medicine from a booklet whereas in Europe, natural remedies are more prominent. This leaves a lot of room for error and false diagnosis.

In the book "Brave Fish: Identity, Love, Faith", a former doctor discussed the US healthcare system and how the doctors are taught to keep the people alive as long as possible just to drain their money. Although this seems dark, the statistics prove this to be true. Very few doctors truly care about their patients. A direct quote from the book states, “The third leading cause of death in the USA is death by medical error, but it never appears on official lists. The room for error is crushing (Cough 18).”

This again goes to show that there are opposing views on the subject of diagnosis and treatment depending on the country. One of the main reasons why the doctors in the States view healthcare differently is due to the fact that the FDA has unusual views on certain types of medicine that is allowed in many countries around the world.

The FDA’s views on alternative medicine causes for a lot of problems when people are suffering from serious diseases and may not receive the most healthy options. As discussed before, the US holds a more capitalist mindset which causes the FDA to put restrictions on many of the homeopathic medicines offered such as a natural remedy that has been proven to cure serious diseases such as cancer.

The cancer patient mentioned before also discussed his options for treatment once the FDA was taken out of the picture. “I was able to receive B17 vitamin infusions in Germany, and the doctors saw a much bigger improvement than they did when I did the chemotherapy and radiation.” He also stated that there were very little to no side effects when he visited Darmstadt, a small town in Germany, and visited a clinic run by Dr. Puttich.

The clinic does not only receive cancer patients, but they also have people that come in with diseases such as depression, candida, and even people with low iron levels all of whom have been able to be cured.

In this particular clinic, a blood test is taken in order to determine the source of low vitamin levels. In Germany and other European countries, the cause of a certain problem is fixed right at the source.

The MRI results above are from that same cancer patient that has been mentioned throughout. After his treatment in Germany, there was a significant change in the tumor. On the top left corner, one can see a significant white mass which makes up the tumor; but right next to that there is an MRI result that shows significant improvement after the vitamin infusion treatments done by Dr. Puttich. Although B17 has made a huge impact on many people all over the world, this type of alternative medicine is not the only type of its kind.

The FDA also doesn’t allow any form of medical marijuana federally. Yes, there have been forms of medical marijuana that has been approved state by state, but federal law clearly states that anyone in possession of any form of marijuana can be punished. The line of approval and disapproval on this matter is blurry and it causes more harm than good.

Since the United States has such a complex form of law, passing a law federally takes far more time than passing a law state by state simply because each state's dynamic is so different. For example, the passing of medical marijuana in a state as conservative as Texas is seen as nearly impossible as opposed to a liberal state such as California where medical marijuana has been around since 1996.

Since each state is so politically diverse, it is hard to see the positives of medical cannabis especially because it is not seen as a practical form of medicine by the FDA. In a special episode featuring Dr. Sanjay Gupta on CNN, medical marijuana was discussed to have not only have no side effects but also has been prove to not be addictive.

Dr. Gupta discussed the medical benefits of the remedy. Many believe that eventually it will be legalized all over the country. Currently, the government will not legalize it because they haven’t found a way to tax it yet (as they did with tobacco products). The tobacco business is still fairly prominent and the government solely leaves it around because they are able to tax it even though it is far worse for someone than medical marijuana.

In the special, it was also mentioned that the US government has a patent, as seen above, on medical marijuana.

Although it is slowly becoming legal state by state, medical marijuana is not legal under federal law. It’s sad to think that the FDA can prevent a product that can save so many lives just for the sole purpose of money. Our healthcare system is like jello that sways the way the plate moves, and once under pressure, it melts.

The FDA submits to the government when it’s under pressure and slowly but surely healthcare reform will be needed to please the public. Since the rates of cancer patients are increasing, the demand for alternative and cheaper medicine is in higher demand as well.

Although the government argues that there are negative side effects, where’s the proof? There’s more evidence proving the positives than the negatives. The list proves the chemical benefits of marijuana so why hold back on it? So many lives were saved so why hold back?

This just proves that the US government is irrational when they are given money, power, and fame. They begin to neglect what they stand for especially when they are feeling pressure from the FDA on the issue of healthcare. The capitalist view of healthcare is contrary to what this nation stands for when it comes to equal protection under our law.

Should the law prevent cures? Should millions of people suffer just for the pursuit of money? Just one person cannot stop what is happening in society. One by one a change can be made. This complex healthcare system can be changed. The FDA should legitimize natural remedies and provide universal healthcare so that “equal protection under the law” can exist to its full ability; so that those millions suffering can see the light of day and not the dark of the grave.