What Taylor Swift Got Right and Wrong About Being 22

"I'm feeling 22!"

18
Thais Araujo2 Flickr

Taylor Swift's song "22" is an anthem for young adults everywhere. The catchy tune and uplifting lyrics make it sound like 22 is the best possible age to be. However, as I have discovered, being 22 is not always all that it's cracked up to be. Here are four things Taylor Swift got wrong about being 22 and one thing she got right.

1. "Tonight's the night when we forget about the deadlines"

In college, there is no such thing as forgetting about deadlines. As many students know, skipping even one night of homework can put you in a downward spiral for the rest of the semester. That doesn't mean there isn't a time and a place for fun, but forgetting the deadlines entirely is unrealistic and irresponsible.

2. "It seems like one of those nights we ditch the whole scene and end up dreaming instead of sleeping"

It's great to be a dreamer. But in college, sleep is precious and sometimes tough to come by. If I'm leaving a party, guaranteed I'm going to sleep, not staying up dreaming about the future.

3. "Everything will be alright if we just keep dancing like we're 22"

Don't get me wrong, I love to dance, but I don't think dancing will automatically make everything alright. Have fun while you can, but also be realistic.

4. "You don't know about me, but I bet you want to"

At 22, I've learned to make wise decisions about who I want to spend my time with. If I want to know more about you I'll ask.

5. "We're happy, free, confused, and lonely"

I couldn't have said it better myself. 22 can be the best year of your life or the worst; it's all what you make of it.