What I've Learned From Working A Desk Job
Education

What I've learned From Working A Desk Job

It's not as easy as it looks.

172
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Alison_McInnes_desk.jpg

I've had a job every summer since I was sixteen. I usually work at a kids camp or the city pool but this summer I got my first semi-big-girl job working full time as a receptionist. It's been about a month since I started working and I've learned a few things in the short time that I've been working here.

1. People can be mean.

https://giphy.com/gifs/jtvedit-jtv-jafaeledit-mKqELyrIfAZB6

A lot of my job includes talking on the phone with clients or greeting them at the door. My first week working, a woman immediately started yelling over the phone because I told her I didn't have access to a program yet and would need to transfer her to someone else. I've also been yelled at when an older man got someone's voicemail and when another client came in and his file's weren't ready.

2. It takes a toll on your body.

https://giphy.com/gifs/geek-the-incredibles-writing-schedule-13rQ7rrTrvZXlm

Working at desk all day may seem easy, but you can start to feel sore very quickly. Our bodies weren't made to stay in the same position all day so, when you have a job where you don't to move around a lot, your body will start to hate you for it. It's good to get up and stretch every few minutes just to make sure you're not getting stiff. Also make sure you don't start getting into any bad posture habits. It's easy to want to hunch over your keyboard, but sit up straight and keep your monitor at eye-level. And if you're doing a lot of the same motions, scanning files or typing for example, that can make your muscles sore as well. Just make sure you're treating your body well.

3. Ask how to use office equipment, don't just guess.

https://giphy.com/gifs/foxhomeent-printer-office-space-l3q2SpChgC7RE95U4

I can't tell you how many times I've messed up making copies or printing stamps. The machines may seem easy enough, but they are often more complicated than you think. Then you just have to ask how to use it anyway after you mess up. So just get ahead of the game and ask someone for help in the first place and don't risk breaking something.

4. Packing a lunch is better than eating out.

https://giphy.com/gifs/romantic-comedy-how-to-lose-a-guy-in-10-days-romcom-3ohs4BE3jdfEdneY0M

Now, I'm kind of a hypocrite when it comes to this point. I packed my lunch every day for a while, but you do start to get burnt out on the same foods, so I've been eating out a lot recently. But, packing a lunch doesn't have to be boring. There are plenty of recipes and ideas on Pinterest that are not only healthier, but you'll save a lot of money in the process. The best thing to do is pack you lunch four out of five days a week, and give yourself one day a week where you can get whatever you want. You body, and your wallet, will thank you.

5. Bring caffeine and something to do.

https://giphy.com/gifs/hulu-snl-saturday-night-live-nbc-l0MYvIdthQjuUJEyc

Doing the same thing all day every day can be mind numbing and tiring. You're bound to get a little droopy-eyed staring at papers or a computer screen for eight hours. Caffeine is essential to making sure you don't run out of energy. If you don't want to consume too much caffeine each day, try decaff coffee or tea to trick your brain into thinking you're actually getting caffeine. It also helps if you listen to music, a podcast, or an audiobook to keep yourself from being so bored.