A year ago, I graduated high school.

At the time, I was at a completely different mental place. I was also going through a breakup. I was very anxious and depressed.

I told my mom about how I was depressed and I started seeing a therapist. After that didn't help, I decided to work on myself by myself. I spent the past year finding myself and just trying to be happy.

I didn't worry about finding a relationship. I worked on getting over my ex, and I did. I stopped worrying about things I couldn't control, like friends not texting me to hang out. Instead, I started focusing on the people who actually did make an effort.

I started meditating. I started writing more and putting more effort into the things I love.

The saying, "Focusing on yourself will bring good things into your life," was right. Things finally started to align.

Today, I'm in such a better place than a year ago. When Snapchat memories bring up what I was doing a year ago, I remember how down I used to feel. I was in a COMPLETELY different place than I am now.

Don't get me wrong, I still have bad days, like everyone else. However, I don't let them affect me any longer than the day. I simply feel the feeling and then let it go. The "letting it go" technique has actually helped me a lot, as well as analyzing why I feel a certain way.

I ask myself why I feel upset and I usually know the answer. By coming up with the answer, I am able to assess the problem.

Within this past year, I've grown, I've changed, and I've learned so many new coping mechanisms, just by being with myself. I still have a lot of work to do to get to the place I want to be, but I'm so proud of how far I've come.