Growing Up With Three Older Brothers

Growing Up With Three Older Brothers

And why I wouldn't want it any other way.

95
Growing Up With Three Older Brothers
Michaela Nolan

Growing up, I was not only the youngest in my family, but also the only girl. That still remains to be true. Sometimes, I do wish that I had a sister when growing up to talk about the things that I would imagine sister would talk about — I guess there is nothing I can really do about that, but looking back I wouldn't have it any other way. One would think that growing up with three older brothers would make me less of a girly girl, but that is so not the case. One can find me wearing dresses any day of the week no matter the weather, literally. Growing up with three older brothers has been a blessing in disguise, and I would say that there are some things that only girls who grew up with brothers would understand.

They are there for you no matter what. Yes, as typical siblings, we fight and sometimes disagree. But, at the end of the day, they are always there for me. Something that makes my older two brothers so special to me is that they both went to Bonaventure. I love being able to call them when I am making my schedule so I can see if they have any scoop on the teachers. I think that a big part of what makes me love Bona's so much is them, and I think that it has brought us closer together.

I know how a girl should be treated. One of my brothers is married, another is engaged, and the last one has girlfriend. Needless to say, I have seen how a woman should be treated. I know that a man should be a gentleman and how a young lady should act. I know what it looks like when two people are in love and when you can feel their connection just simply by being around them.

How to chase my dreams. Watching all of my brothers go to college and major in something that they are interested in makes me look forward to what Bonaventure has in store for me. They have jobs that make them happy doing things that they love. This encourages me when I'm sitting in a class that I may not enjoy all that much. This makes me less afraid of pursuing a career in my passion — fashion. They make me believe that, if I set my mind to something, eventually everything will fall into place if I work for what I want.

These are only three things that make growing up with brothers so special. As the years go by, I learn that I appreciate them more and more. Some people have no idea what it is like to grow up with only older brothers, but this is all I know and it has helped shape me into the person that I am today. As the "little" sister, I can truthfully say that, when I was younger, I always looked up to my brothers -- and this has not changed. As the days go by, they not only encourage me but also inspire me to be the best version of myself and to take all that life has to offer and to make the best of it. So thank you brothers, because without you I'm not sure who, or where, I would be.