What Are the Most Common Causes of Back Pain in the Workplace?

8

You may not realize just how much work your back does on a daily basis. The muscles in your back are responsible for not only protecting your spinal cord but also for providing support to the rest of your body. Therefore, when you develop back pain, this can lead to serious problems. According to information that has been published by Lalande Personal Injury Lawyers, "Chronic back pain is typically is defined as severe back pain persisting beyond normal medical healing time, usually lasting for more than six months. Unfortunately, many occupations, such as jobs that require sitting, standing, and moving (such as nursing, dentistry, plumbing, construction, warehouse jobs, sitting in court) can place significant demands on your back. For example, if you suffer from back pain and your job involves significant sitting, lifting, bending, crouching, kneeling, stooping, or standing, you may be prevented from performing the substantial duties of your occupation." With this in mind, what are a few of the most common causes of back pain in the workplace?

The Development of Sciatica

One of the most common causes of lower back pain, sciatica is diagnosed when irritation of the sciatic nerve causes shooting pains to travel down the back and into one or both legs. The sciatic nerve is the thickest nerve in the body and it leaves the back at the level of the pelvis, dividing and passing down each leg.

There are several reasons why the sciatic nerve might get irritated; however, the most common cause involves compression of the sciatic nerve itself. A nearby bone, tendon, or muscle tissue could swell and compress the sciatic nerve, irritating it. This can lead to shooting, shock-like pains, numbness, weakness, or tingling that travels down the back into one or both legs. This condition can make it incredibly difficult for someone to stand, walk, or take the stairs.

Suffering from a Herniated Disc

Another potential cause of lower back pain is a herniated disc. The spinal cord is responsible for sending signals from the brain to the rest of the body. It is protected by individual vertebrae. The vertebrae themselves are divided by small cushions called discs. These discs are filled with a jelly-like substance (called the nucleus pulposus) that provides a cushion for the vertebrae themselves.

In some situations, these discs can rupture. The jelly substance will travel down the spinal cord, irritating the nerves in the process. The most common location of a herniated disc is between L3 and L4 or L4 and L5. When these discs herniate, it can lead to numbness, weakness, and may even require surgery.

Degenerative Disc Disease

Finally, degenerative disc disease (DDD) can also lead to severe back pain. Some people are predisposed to the development of this condition. In other people, this condition could be made worse by their occupation. When someone suffers from DDD, their back pain will gradually get worse over time because their spinal discs suffer from gradual dehydration. As a result, people might find it hard to go to work, go to school, or live their everyday lives.

Back Pain Must Be Addressed Quickly

It is critical for everyone to have their back pain treated as quickly as possible. The sooner back pain is addressed, the better the prognosis is going to be. Because of the severe impact that back pain can have on someone's quality of life, everyone should consider reaching out to a trained legal professional with any questions or concerns after seeking medical care.