What 2016 Plus Size Women Will Bring To 2017

38
takepart

Although 2016 was a rough year for some, the plus size clothing industry flourished. From a Barbie made after a plus sized model to plus size clothing campaigns from plus size brands like Torrid to more mainstream brands like JC Penny.

The industry has embraced plus size women, not with open arms, but now plus size women are now more widely accepted. With the majority of the population being plus sized, it makes sense that major brands expand their sizing.

We even saw the first transgender plus size model land a major fashion company. With a transgender model, more women are being represented in the media. Slowly, the fashion industry is becoming more accepting of all women.

Refinery29 tackled the media bias surrounding plus size women with their campaign, "#SeeThe67". With 67% of women in the United States a size 14 or higher, Refinery29 brought up a crucial issue with plus size women, there are very few ads out there featuring plus size women despite the majority being plus size.

In 2017, we could possibly see the rise of more advertising with plus size women. Advertising could soon represent the majority to not only benefit the vulnerable audiences that view these ads, but also the advertising companies considering they are showing these advertisements to the majority of the population.

Even in the fashion industry, we could see more plus size women on the runway. Tim Gunn has expressed that he wants an all plus size "Project Runway" season . With Gunn being such a popular name in the fashion industry we could see more women on the runway that represent a majority of the population.

2016 has brought forth a lot of positive change for the plus size industry and we can only see more positivity coming for 2017. We could see more brands expanding their size offerings as well as more representation for plus size women.