Why Should I Hide My Tattoos On My Wedding Day?
Health Wellness

So Sorry, But I Won't Regret My Tattoos On My Wedding Day— Thanks For Your Concern Though

Why would I hide them on one of the biggest days of my life?

268
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqGDvJLlAYX/

I have a memory with my grandmother on my right arm, and a reminder to keep going on the left of my wrist. I have a moon for my mom, a lyric that was sentimental at the time, one about staying grounded, and another of a reminder for when I'm overwhelmed with the world around me.

Every tattoo I have on my body has a reason. Every tattoo will be with me when I walk down the aisle when I get married. Every tattoo is my journey on display, I am an open book if you ask about my tattoos. Some are simple, some reasons behind go a little darker than the others. I'm years from walking down the aisle, heck I don't even have a ring on my left ring finger. Yet I'm already tired of people commenting on my tattoos wondering if I'll cover them on my wedding day.

My answer? No.

Why hide moments in my life that I am proud of overcoming, and continuing this journey of life? Why hide tattoos that remind me of people? Why hide the things that got me through my darkest days? So, my wedding pictures aren't ruined? So, my tattoos don't take away from my gorgeous white dress? Then you're focusing on the wrong thing and should be looking at my wedding dress because those things are expensive. I probably paid for that dress instead of paying for a student loan for a couple of months. Pay attention to my dress.

I have always wanted tattoos. Heck, I couldn't wait to be eighteen and to get my first one. My mom said when I was a toddler I drew a copy of my god mother's tattoo that she has on her chest on my chest because I loved it, and I wanted one too. So really, I've wanted a tattoo since I was three or four years old and I'm 22 now.

My tattoos I have gotten in tattoo parlors, and in dorm rooms. I have laughed, I have been brought to tears, I've taken bad pictures on a Polaroid, I have made friendships, and I've told some of my darkest secrets to those people. I've honored other people's lives, and I've honored my own life so far. These six tattoos I smile at every morning I wake up, when I brush my teeth and when I get dressed for the day. I smile when I'm pouring a cup of coffee at work, and smile when I get compliments or questioned about them. I am proud of them.

I am proud of the art covering the scars many can't see. I am proud of showing the artist's work on my skin. I am proud of being alive today and knowing it's okay to need that daily reminder permanently on my body. When I'm 80 years old and must remind my grandchildren they're bigger than their own demons I'll pull up my sleeve and show them my reminders.

My tattoos have helped me with my mental health. My tattoos keep my grandmother's handwriting in my head. My tattoos keep my grandmother's giggle in my head. My tattoos will be reminding me of my mom when I move hours away. My tattoos will remind me to be brave and to take chances and to leave my comfort zone.

So, why would I hide them on one of the biggest days of my life?