The 11 Seasons Chicago Endures While The Rest Of The World Whines About 4

Get ready for mud season.

64

As we all know, Chicago has more than four seasons. It has 11 seasons interspersed with the regular four seasons people in other cities across the country experience.

1. Winter

The official winter lasts from roughly mid-December to the end of January. During this time we see a significant amount of snowfall, cold temperatures and short, gloomy days.

2. Fool's spring

At the start of February, we are tricked into warmer weather finally on its way during fool's spring. This season typically lasts a day to a couple of days and gets our hopes up. It's nice to see more sun, but don't let that fool you. It's still cold as heck outside.

3. Second winter

Following this, our hopes are crushed towards the middle of February with major snowfall and temperatures that plummet us back into the winter.

4. Spring of deception

Again, the weather decides to trick us into thinking spring is right around the corner between the end of February and the beginning of March. We are ready to be done with winter by now and just want the warm sun back!

5. Third winter

Yes, there are three winters in Chicago. No, this doesn't make me want to move. The fluctuating temperatures keep us on edge this time of year but, not to fret, winter is going to be back for at least a day. It just has to come in three parts.

6. Mud season

And this is where we find ourselves now. Get ready for a lot of rain, damp weather and overcast days ahead. This season usually lasts from mid-March, once it stops snowing and being freezing cold, until April. Though, it does come with some astounding photographic results, proving there's always a silver lining.

7. Actual spring

First, up congrats on surviving the winter! Actual spring lasts only a few days in April when the rain stops. We can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel, actual spring is a fleeting moment in the grand scheme of Chicago's seasons.

8. Summer

Get ready for the complete opposite of a freezing winter: sweltering heat. There is virtually no time to adjust between winter and summer, and so our closets undergo a major overhaul in a single weekend. The warmer months last from May to August, but they are a major reprieve from the winter.

9. False fall

Usually a few days to a week at the end of August or beginning of September, we get a false sense of summer's end and a cooling off in temperatures.

10.  Second summer

But, like all the other times of the year, why would summer be any different? For roughly a week or two in September, we get a resurgence of summer and are allowed to bask in its glory one last time. It's important not to waste this week because winter is now around the corner.

11.  Actual fall

Probably my favorite season in Chicago, fall is a beautiful time of change and great weather. However, much like the other seasons, it can creep up in two seconds and throw us off our game.

Despite these constant changes, I wouldn't dream of anything else. The weather changes keep me on my toes and keep me looking forward to what the next day will bring.