We Don't Have To Stay Divided

We Don't Have To Stay Divided

Love one another.

5
We Don't Have To Stay Divided

America today is more divided than my generation has ever experienced. As my generation has grown up the abortion debate has always been incredibly polarized, but now every issue looks that way. It seems as if middle ground is a thing of the past. Working to find compromise has become an archived practice. More and more Americans are demonizing those they disagree with. Pro-lifers hate pro-choice advocates, LBGQT-ers hate those in favor of traditional marriage, Republicans can't stand Democrats etc etc.. I can name hundreds of other examples. Americans have lost the ability to communicate with each other. This has been no more evident than in this year's past election cycle, and especially in the weeks since Inauguration Day.

It's tough. As a college student I'm supposed to be in a place where constructive conversation is encouraged and fostered, and yet quite the opposite is becoming the case. And I can tell that is true for people that agree with me and people that I don't see eye to eye with all across the country. Conversation is being stifled, and that makes reconciliation between opposing sides especially difficult. The most unfortunate aspect of this development in our society is that it seems to be getting worse.

For instance, President Trump's executive order calling for a 120-day stay on immigration. Pretty much every Facebook friend I have has posted their opinion, and the response from both sides has been especially militant. One stance from many of my friends has been a prominent opinion that if someone's not vehemently against the executive order then there's no way that person can be a Christian. This view has been taken by many Christians, professors and even the Pope himself. It doesn't matter that the order is only a temporary hold for procedural review or that this type of thing has been done before (cite Obama 2011). And if you're reading this please understand I'm not providing this recent example to single out people I don't agree with. There are quick-to-jump sweeping generalizations made by me and people who see things like I do. I am just as guilty as the next when it comes to misunderstanding my neighbors.

The point of this is that if we are to better ourselves as a people; whether that be as a student body, the universal church, as Americans or even as people in general; we must learn that divisiveness is not the answer. Labels and stereotypes have never built bridges, but they sure have burned quite a few. Whatever side of the fence you stand on, don't forget your fellow Americans on the other side. The only way to bridge the gap between us is to swallow our pride, humble ourselves and listen. Pray for those whose opinions we can't stand to hear. Care for others, regardless of their voting history or political ideology. We will always have our differences, but we don't have to stay divided.