History in the Making: The Worldwide Women's March

#whyimarch

48
Angelina Camilleri

On January 21, 2017, history was made. Millions of people, together on each continent, marched in demonstration of human rights. We marched in solidarity for freedom on every corner of the globe.

This is why I march.

I marched for my freedom and the freedoms of my friends alongside millions around the world.

I march because I do not forget how I got the right to vote, but I also do not forget how many, many others did not gain that right alongside me and had to wait decades. I do not forget Alice Paul's torture behind prison walls while her friends and movement continued risking their lives to fight for us, but I also do not forget that the original movement for women's rights was exclusionary. I demonstrated my rights just like they did all those decades ago but celebrated our intersectionality, because my friends and I face an uncertain future in the current political climate of the world.

I marched because just a few days ago the White House website showed resources for civil rights, women, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, immigrants, and climate change. These are resources which aim to guarantee the equality of all for today and tomorrow, and they have been removed. I march for those of us the White House has already marginalized.

I marched because I have gone through private and public education and know the true value of a public education and the dangers of a private.

I marched because my friends are engaged to their same-sex partners and deserve to marry.

I marched because my friends have had things thrown at them and people trying to pull their clothes off solely because they choose to cover their heads with a scarf and pray to someone other than a Christian god.

I marched because my friends are immigrants, and so was my grandmother. I marched because immigrants deserve a safe place to land. I marched for the many currently placed in detention centers awaiting their fate. I marched for the many who are likely to be deported.

I marched for my incarcerated friends, who no longer can vote or march for themselves. I marched for their voices which have been so systemically silenced. I marched for those who have been over-incarcerated, and for those who have so, so many years left. I marched for those in solitary confinement. I marched for those who are mentally ill. I marched for their families, the silent sufferers of our country's incarceration rates.

I marched because water is no longer a human right on our own soil. I marched for our brothers and sisters in Flint who have been poisoned by the very government put in place to protect them. I marched for the people of Standing Rock risking everything to protect their water.

I marched not only for victims of sexual assault, but as a survivor myself. I marched for those of us who have been forced into silence.

I marched for those who will lose their health care. I marched for those who need Planned Parenthood to survive because the rest of our health care is being taken away. I marched for those of us with pre-existing conditions who will be unable to find coverage elsewhere. I marched because nobody deserves to die of cancer, to suffer through endometriosis, or any other sickness or disease.

I marched because I am alive and my brothers and sisters of this world may and will face difficult times in the coming years. Because of our new administration, yes, but also because of new and continued administrations globally.

I marched as a human being.

I marched and I am proud of it. I marched for me, for my friends, for you, and your children. I marched for everyone, marginalized and privileged alike.