Traveling on a Budget

9 Ways To Travel On A Budget

Adventure is out there (even for us broke college kids).

63
image-755526868113851346

I have been extremely blessed to have had the opportunities to travel with friends around the country - Phoenix, Tucson, Malibu, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, parts of Florida - mostly out of my own pocket. I am currently planning a trip to Boston and budgeting is always the first step. I absolutely love to travel, but being a college student can make it difficult. Here are some of my hacks to travel on a budget!

1. Save

Throughout the year, try to budget yourself to a certain amount of money each week. This will help you save! Personally, i save money specifically for travel - I promise it's worth it!

2. Airbnb

Airbnb is a popular app and website which allows you to search for homes and private rooms for any trip you may be panning. I have personally used Airbnb and have had wonderful experiences. It is a cheap and easy way to stay overnight in your destination!

3. Flying can be cheap 

With my family, we tend to road trip. But with friends, we love to fly. Although flying can be expensive, there are many tips on booking the cheapest flights possible. One of the things that I have learned in terms of booking flights is to book them about 40 days in advance - this is when you may be able to find great prices! I have also used the app Hopper in the past! This app helps find great deals on flights (and hotels) by allowing you to customize your trip with certain dates and budgets. Happy flying!

4. Eat out one time each day 

Eating out can really add up, so opt for staying in for two meals each day and going out for one meal. Buy cheap groceries (fresh produce, cereal, yogurt, etc.) and treat yourself by going out each night. This will save money and build up the excitement for the night throughout the day.

5. Free attractions

As you plan your trip, Google free attractions in your destination. There are so many different things you can do - for example, there are historical trails, free museums, public parks, and other fun free activities to do. Also, don't be afraid to ask about student discount options.

6. The more the merrier 

Don't limit your group to you and your best friend always. Be open to inviting multiple people. You can easily split costs for lodging and meals and this will make each portion for each person much cheaper. The more the merrier!

7. Use your connections 

Think of family and friends. Think of where they live. Plan a trip and visit them/stay with them along the way! This is a good way to save money during your trip while also visiting loved ones - the best of both worlds.

8. Short and sweet

Instead of planning a week-long trip like you may have experienced throughout your childhood, plan to go for a few days. You still get to experience a trip and you will save money this way.

9. Appreciate your surroundings 

You did pay for this trip, so enjoy it! Take advantage of your location and see all you can see as much as possible. Avoid sitting in your Airbnb/hotel room all morning and walk around the city or the beach.