To Those Who Make Excuses For Donald Trump

It's not locker room talk.

34
/www.newyorker.com

To those who make excuses for Donald Trump,

A recent video showing Donald Trump disrespectfully speaking about women is causing many of his supporters to rethink their side in the 2016 election. Trump claimed that his comments about women shouldn't be taken seriously. He called it “locker room talk.”

However, to the supporters who have stood by Trump, stop making excuses for him. Don’t just say that there have been worse comments made about women. That mindset is shameful. Donald Trump could be the next president of the United States. Do we really want a president who only likes and respects certain groups of people? Surely he's a smart man and he might have some great policies in mind but can we compromise and ignore his character? No one should excuse his comments or say that it could be worse. His comments will only get worse if people continue to make excuses for him and stand by him while he disrespects others.

I'm not saying that anyone should stop supporting Trump’s campaign. I'm not saying that everyone should vote for Hillary Clinton now because Donald Trump made bad remarks about others. I simply ask that his comments are taken seriously. Don't let them slide. Don't agree and say that it's just “locker room talk.” No matter what the situation was, it's not okay to degrade women with rude comments. It's not a joke to disrespect women. It’s not a form of small talk. If you support Donald Trump then make a statement that you want his policies, but not his disrespectful attitude towards different groups of people. If Trump truly cares about his supports, he will listen and he will be less likely to degrade people and to promote hatred, discrimination, and negativity.

There's power in numbers. It's time to stand together and make a statement that a candidate must have a good character and not just good policies. Donald Trump’s comments about women are unacceptable. Don't let it slide.

Sincerely,

Someone who has had enough.