To the Young Woman Entering Politics

My dear reader,

While there are many obstacles to pursuing a career in politics, to those of us who are women (and various other groups as well!) it may seem like the Andes Mountains are even higher. This is a note to remind you to climb those mountains, and to take the tools of our education to scale to greater heights. Often in politics there is a certain type of young gentleman who believes since he is in such a high position he can belittle others. Do not despair and remember- he is but a Gaston from Beauty and the Beast. Sadly, some women to can be like this- to befriend you only to pursue their own political ambitions and aims. Remember to have faith in yourself as overused and mundane as that phrase is. Be like the walls of the Capitol- never fail to show you glory and never let anybody take that away from you.

What else shall I say? Never be afraid to speak your mind! Often many of us may casually say "Ohh, I do not really know Spanish (for example)" but then can be seen reading Don Quixote in the original. Never be afraid to say you are learning something and act with confidence when you know something. Do not let doubt govern you, but use it to better yourself. Remember to be brave- do not fret about taking an unpopular stance but do so with all the grace and dignity as Justice Ginsberg would have. Do not forget to listen to all of the women who came before you and heed their wisdom.

Oh gentle reader, what else shall I put in this letter for future women entering politics? Relish all your intellectual desires and take full advantages of resources such as the Library of Congress which are right at your fingertips. Learn and continue learning for nobody is an expert in everything and there is always more to learn. Knowledge is hidden treasure, and there always is more of it to discover and search out. Knowledge can be found in many areas- books, films, podcasts, talking to other people and even in the painted halls of the Capitol itself! Remember not to give in to people who say something is impossible, but seek out truth and take inspiration from literature and the past. Treasure and guard knowledge as your dearest friend and never betray her. Hold steadfast to your principles but always be willing to admit when you are wrong, and always be willing to extend a hand of compassion and compromise.

These are the most timeless principles I have discovered while chasing my interest in policy and roaming the halls of the Capitol. I have mingled with many of the more extraordinary people both there and in the Library of Congress, and I hope someday all citizens of the world may do the same. May the winding halls of the labyrinth below congress always take you to your destination and may you forever hold up the torch of knowledge as she guides you to the future!

Sincerely,

Your Friend