Do You Have An Old Soul?

Do You Have An Old Soul?

No one gets it.

30
Do You Have An Old Soul?

To The Girl With An Old Soul,

I get it. You have no idea how much I get it. When someone tells you that you have an old soul there is a hint of poetic justice that almost makes you accept it as a compliment. In some aspects it is a compliment. If you are anything like me you love the smell of old books. Finding the most unique antique to display perfectly on your shelf makes your heart soar. Watching an old vinyl spin on a turntable mesmerizes you. You write poetry and stories about a quiet life far, far away. You have so many beautiful qualities that make you an old soul, but that's not what you see, is it?

You see the friend that would rather stay home than go out. The friend that has never been to a party before. You see yourself as boring and it makes you self-conscious. You try so hard to be fun and to go out, but you hate every minute of it. You shake your head and sigh when the girl next to you comes to class hungover. (Does her mother know what she's been doing?) People think you're crazy because how can you be in college and not want to go party with them? This is not all you are.

You are poetic. You're a dreamer. You're the voice of reason. You help keep your friends safe when they don't listen to their parents. You're their conscience. You are an author. You are a character all your own. You're an old soul.

Trust me. I see you for who you are. I see you over there, utterly consumed by the book in your hand, Pride and Prejudice quote on your t-shirt. Without even knowing it, you are being unapologetically yourself. That, right there, is the most unique thing about you. So many people are afraid to be themselves that they face into the woodwork. Even though you may be scared to be yourself, you just can't help it. It happens without a second though. Keep being yourself until the world sees you how I do. A beautiful soul, no matter how young or old.