To The Girl On The Other Side Of The Room

The odds were definitely in my favor.

39
Emily Graybill

College is a continuously moving carousel of people. A time of hellos and goodbyes-- sometimes within just minutes of each other. I've talked to people in line for food one night five months ago and haven't seen them since (seriously cute guy from the taco line-- where'd you go?).

But over the past year, there has been one person that I don't just say "Hello" to, but "Good morning," "How was class?" "Can I use your coffee creamer?" "That shirt looks so good on you," (that one's been used a lot), and "Goodnight." We haven't gotten to "Goodbye" yet, and to be honest, I haven't really thought about it.

From day one, you've been my go-to. You helped me figure out classes, took me home with you for Thanksgiving, introduced me to your friends, and have listened to countless rants that come from the stressed out, emotional writer you got paired with as a roommate. Thank you for putting up with me, for being there, and for making me laugh more times than I can count. I know I've told you this before-- especially every time someone else has a problem with their roommate -- but God bless you for just being you. The kind, caring, absolutely beautiful person that I've gotten the chance to know this year.

I don't know how I'm going to feel in the next three months not waking up with you on the other side of the room, or gossiping with right before I go to bed (because, let's be honest, some of our strongest bonding moments was filling each other in, whispering across the room). You've given me such a good atmosphere, and it feels strange knowing that you aren't always going to be just 12 feet away. As I write this, I'm looking around at the cute little home we've created for ourselves and the thought that someone else will make it their own next year is pretty bittersweet-- this has been ours. And I could not have asked for a better person to share it with.

College has given me a lot of people, and has taken a lot of them away just as quickly. But you've been the one constant, the one person I know I can come home to (quite literally), and that's something I'm truly grateful for.

We've all heard horror stories about college roommates-- but I'm never going to have to tell them. Thanks for everything-- but especially thanks for being a home.