How You Changed My Perspective Of Argentinians

My poor attempt of trying to put in words what I'm feeling.

8
Carolina Leichner

March 2nd2017

University of Central Arkansas

Conway, Ar

To my dearest friends the Argentinians:

This letter is going to be published for sure when you all are not here anymore, but I did not want to not say anything or have any words for you. I am not good with expressing my opinion verbally, so I chose to do it here (Even when, probably, none of you will have the chance to read this).

This is my second semester here at UCA, and coming from a really hard semester of being in my dorm, the library, the cafeteria, and the classroom, I wasn’t expecting much of this one. However, everything changed when I met you all.

I don’t think you wanted to meet more Spanish speakers, who were just only going to slow down your “English experience.” But, after almost three years of being here, I only wanted to meet people with more similarities, people like me. I am glad it happened. Y’all transformed completely my idea of this university. Now I enjoy it more. Y’all did all I wanted to do when I first came to this country but because I was alone and young I couldn’t. I am so happy I got to experience all that with this group, and I regret every single thing I missed.

I know Debrah and I feel like this semester worth it, just because we met y’all. For her, letting y’all go is like leavin her country again. For me, is like losing a ton of friends at the part of every friendship which is where you feel comfortable being who you are while you are still amazed by those amazing things that they do. Suddenly, we were going out more, eating with different people, making friends with other permanent students here. We got to experience UCA deeper, we feel more connected with our college now. We are so thankful that you came.

Also, I have to admit that you changed my image of Argentina. I guess every South American grew up hearing about how cocky Argentinians were, and that was the idea I had. I never saw that from any of you. All I saw were people trying to be themselves. People who is not afraid of what others think of themselves, you are what y’all are. I found more similarities than the differences I saw, in comparison to who I am and my culture. Also, I couldn’t be more impressed of the extension of your love and your presence. Everybody heard about you all and the ones who were not afraid to get closer, and talk to you, have only good things to say. Who would not fall in love with that group?

Now, it is going to be hard saying goodbye tomorrow because once again it is going to be us, alone, and y’all are going to at least be a little bit closer from one another. Please, even if we stop talking because any reason, know that you have a friend here and that everywhere I am my doors is going to be opened for any of you. If any of you ever wants to go to Colombia, know that you have a place to stay there and you can call/write me anytime to ask me anything.

I am never this cheesy, and I hate being like that. But, I could not let this opportunity passed. Have a wonderful trip and life y’all. I wish you the best because y’all deserve it.

I love sincerely y’all,

Your Colombian friend,

Jose Miguel Sierra Urrego

Note: I want to dedicate this song to y'all